About the LANDeskCOMPlus user, "What is this account" and "Why is it on my Core"?

Version 6

Verified Product Versions

LANDESK Management Suite 9.5LANDESK Management Suite 9.6LANDESK Management Suite 2016.x

Questions

On my LDMS Core I noticed that there is a user called LANDeskCOMPlus.  I don't think I'm using this user anywhere on the Core server. So:

1. Where did it come from?

2. Why is it here?

3. Do I have to use this user?

4. How do I change the COM+ Identities?

Answers

1. When the LANDesk Core software is initially installed, a user is created called LANDeskCOMPlus.  This user is created as part of the Core installation process that generates the two COM+ objects used by LANDesk named "LANDesk" and "LANDesk1". 

2. Every COM+ object must have an identity assigned to it.  When these two COM+ objects are created the LANDeskCOMPlus user was created as a placeholder.  LANDesk software uses these two COM+ objects to process authentication requests through directory services such as Microsoft's Active Directory.  While the LANDeskCOMPlus account will do Local authentication processing and enumeration, it has no rights or priviledges on the Active Directory domain structure.

3. It is recommended that this LANDeskCOMPlus be replaced with a Domain account that can read through the entire Directory structure. Note that this domain account must be also added to the "logon as batch job" local security policy of the core server in order to avoid the behaviour explained in this Microsoft Technet article: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/312497

• To configure the LANDesk and LANDesk1 COM+ objects on a core server:>

1. Go to the Core server you want to configure.
    2. From the Windows Control Panel's Administrative Tools, double-click  Component Services.
    3. Click Component Services | Computers | My Computer | COM+  Applications.

4. From the LANDesk COM+ application's shortcut menu, click Properties.
    5. On the Identity tab, enter the credentials you want to use.
    6. Click OK.
    7. Right-click on the LANDesk COM+ object and select stop.
    8. Right-click on the LANDesk COM+ object and select start.

9. From the LANDesk1 COM+ application's shortcut menu, click  Properties.
    10. On the Identity tab, enter the credentials you want to use.
    11. Click OK.
    12. Right-click on the LANDesk1 COM+ object and select stop.
    13. Right-click on the LANDesk1 COM+ object and select start.