6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 5, 2016 12:34 PM by avasile

How to maintain Response Level (Priority) changes over time (SLA Reporting)

tpratt Apprentice

I'm looking at addressing what I would expect is a common requirement - but I can't seem to find any relevant discussion threads. I am looking to be able to maintain a history of the Response Level of an incident over time, for example:

* An Incident could start as Priority 1 - a critical Incident with no available workaround or mitigation.

* As the Incident is managed - it's Priority can change - for example when a short term workaround is put in place it could be downgraded.

I don't see anything OOTB or discussions on the topic - so I'm guessing any solution then is custom. I thought of a few potential approaches:

* Making the Response Level attribute of the Incident Object "is auditable" - I can make the change and save the object - but I believe reporting would need to be outside the Query Designer (I don't see any collection of Response Level on the Incident Object after doing so).

* Making the attribute Versionable - but this does not appear an option (not sure - perhaps this needs to be set when the attribute is created).

Since neither of the above seemed to yield quick success I have tried the following which appears to be working - but I'm interested in any feedback or alternatives before I decide to go to production:

* I added an attribute to the Escalation Point object (Incident Priority).

* I added a Copy Rule to populate the escalation Point attribute from the Incident at the time the escalation is created.

This seems to yield the results I want - that each time any escalation points are created (change in Response Level) they carry the Incident priority at the time the priority changed. I haven't yet dove into all the required reporting - but for example this would allow reporting if Incidents that "were or ever were a Priority 1 incident". Or another prior example - Incidents that Raised or Lowered priority AFTER the "initial Response". Lots of different flavors where having the history can be beneficial - but while an Incident is active and historical reporting.

Has anyone else had to deal with similar requirements? If so - any alternate ideas on how to accomplish this and/or any neat suggestions on reporting SLA changes over time? As we have just gone live in the last 45 days I'm very interested in other perspectives on the topic.

Terry

• 1. Re: How to maintain Response Level (Priority) changes over time (SLA Reporting)
          Fabian Schmidt Expert

Hi Terry,

I could think of two potential solutions for your requirement.

1. Using a manual action and read the relevant data from the audit trail:
            1. Within Process Designer create a new action, for example "Change Priority" and set the property "Allow association with window" to true
            2. Create a special window for this action, where you only display your SLA variation attributes with Protection Level ReadWrite, that can change the Response Aggreement and assign it within a window rule to the action
            3. Within your main Incident window make the varation attributes write once.
            4. Add your new action as an optional action to your process.
          2. The first option could be extended by creating a new collection within the incident domain
            1. Create a new business object with the wizard as created from incident, so the relevant action will be created automatically
            2. Create the required variation attributes as reference lists within your new busniess object, also include the response aggreement as reference list
            3. Create a window, you need to activate the SLA handler for this window, so the response aggreement is selected just by selecting the variation attributes
            4. now drag your new action as a manual action to your process followed by an automatic action that changes your variation attributes and SLA on the main incident window.
            5. you need the business object action once as an automatic action directly at the start of the process.

If you want to report on this now you can do this for the first option by reporting the specific action from the audit trail. The second option gives you the ability to report just on the collection and makes it easier to report.

Perhaps this helps a little bit.

Regards

Fabian

• 2. Re: How to maintain Response Level (Priority) changes over time (SLA Reporting)
            tpratt Apprentice

Thanks for the very detailed information and suggestion. I think I follow - the answer may be quite a bit more than what I am really looking to deliver.

* All of the constructs are there already to Manage changes in the Response Level (i.e. Priority). We use the combination of the Impact, Urgency, and Configuration Item to determine the Response Level.

* The Analyst Windows allow our members to change any of the 3 drivers (Impact, Urgency, CI) - and doing so correctly sets the Response Level and saves this on the Incident Object. This is what we want - for example when we have a workaround the Urgency generally lowers (still impacts the same CI - and the Impact group remains the same - just less of an urgency to resolve).

What was missing was how to see at "point in time A" the Response Level was "P1" and then at "Point in time B" the Response Level changed to P2. I've spend a decent part of the day running a number of test cases - and I'm finding that adding the attribute to the Escelation Point object seems to give me the full history data (and it is all available in the Query Designer). The Copy Rules grab the Incident Priority at just the right time (the Impact, Urgency, and CI set this - we save the Incident which as the new Response Level - and the Copy Rule drops these onto the escalation points):

I have a bunch of reporting (objectives to define - and then to write these) - but I seem to have the data. See an example below - here I have the Time to Respond SLA that was Achieved (complete status) while the Incident was at Response P1, and then some time before the Time to Resolve SLA expired the Incident was changed to P2. The full transition is very well exposed (we even have the Create data/time for when the escalations were created).

1) Thanks SO MUCH for the quick and detailed response - once again the community is a great source to share ideas and get to a solution.

2) Still interested in if anyone else manages this type of SLA transition and how they report these to management (no black and white answer here - just interested in what others may do in the case they allow SLA's to change after the initial creation.

Terry

Escelation Points.JPG

• 3. Re: How to maintain Response Level (Priority) changes over time (SLA Reporting)
              Fabian Schmidt Expert

Ok, got it.

Your solution also sounds nice and seems to be a good way to report SLA changes.

Let's see how others do.

From my mind I couldn't tell one customer, that reports this, at least until now

• 4. Re: How to maintain Response Level (Priority) changes over time (SLA Reporting)
                ITSMMVPGroup

I think the above from Fabian is a text book perfect answer!

• 5. Re: How to maintain Response Level (Priority) changes over time (SLA Reporting)
                  GarethReeves Apprentice

I have a question regarding this, which it seems a feature we have missing you already had working. When we change the priority the escalation points are not updated they stay as they were when initially logged. How did you get your Escalation points to update? our system is fairly OOTB as far as the Escalations go so most likely missing some setup.

Thanks Gareth

• 6. Re: How to maintain Response Level (Priority) changes over time (SLA Reporting)
                    avasile Apprentice

I did something similar to what you said and created an action called "Update Priority" associated with a window that asks the reason for change and has the Incident Urgency attribute (what we use as our Priority). There is a copy rule for that to update the Write Once Incident Urgency on the main window. If I am reading this correct, I think it is saying I need to create a relationship between Response Level and my new action object "Update Priority"? I just can't find the Response Level object (only the attribute associated with the Incident object) and I'm a little stuck. Any guidance on next steps would be greatly appreciated.