1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 18, 2015 12:11 AM by Peter Massa

ImageW- specify partition size? Is it possible to change size of C:?

LSattan Apprentice

I have searched through the manual and cannot find the parameter to change the partition size of the c: drive when it restores an image, is it only scale to fit or don't scale to fit? I need to specify on certain devices a 100GB C: but I don't want to create a 2nd image file to do this...any help is appreciated!

• 1. Re: ImageW- specify partition size? Is it possible to change size of C:?
          Peter Massa Expert

LSattan,

ImageW is a sector based tool; so it copies data exactly where it is on the disk from the origin HDD to the exact same place on the target HDD.  Which means if data was stored at the 80GB spot on the disk, if the target disk isn't at least 80GB it will not have a place to be written to.  This means that you cannot shrink the size of images captured with ImageW, smaller than the origin disk size when it was created.

The work around for this is to deploy the image to a large disk, then recapture it with ImageX; which is a file based tool and only requires the target HDD to be just large enough to hold the data in the image.  This will effectively allow you to then deploy the image on to a smaller drive than the origin ImageW HDD.

Next if you want the image to expand to the full size of the disk regardless of deploying with ImageW or ImageX, you can either set this in your unattend.xml to expand; or run the following commands:

diskpart

select disk 0

select volume 0   [Or whatever the C volume # is.  You can view this by doing a "list volume"]

extend

If you want to only expand the volume to a specific size then use these commands:

diskpart

select disk 0

select volume 0

extend size=<size in mb>

Hope this helps,

Peter