Yes SQL 2008 is supported in 9

• 2. Re: LANDesk 9 & SQL
            Rookie

Hi

Does that include SQL Server 2008 R2?

Thanks.

• 4. Re: LANDesk 9 & SQL
              phoffmann SupportEmployee

We would *STRONGLY* advise to upgrade your version of LANDesk though if you're still on 9.0 though.

That's been EOL'ed quite a few years ago & will as a result not have had various security updates in recent years that were necessary (OpenSSL 's issues around DROWN & co for instance). Also 9.0 doesn't support Windows 10 (and has only limited support for Windows 8).

• 5. Re: LANDesk 9 & SQL
                Rookie

Thanks.

The software requirements for LANDesk Management Suite 9.0 just mentioned SQL Server 2008 and not R2.  I think SQL Server 2008 R2 has a slightly different architecture and that's why I just wanted to double check SQL Server 2008 R2 was also compatible.

Upgrading our version of LANDesk has been a department plan for some time now and hopefully this year, we can get something done about it.  Our version is still running on Windows Server 2003 and SQL Server 2005 standard so it will most probably be a clean installation.  As an intermediate step, I just want to upgrade the SQL Server part of it to SQL Server 2008 R2 so I can get rid of all SQL Server 2005 instances in the organisation.

• 6. Re: LANDesk 9 & SQL
                  phoffmann SupportEmployee

Gotcha - that makes sense.

As for "going forward" - yes - a clean install will make more sense. Migrating via WIndows Server 2008 to 2012 from 2003 isn't exactly going to be great and there have been a whole slew of paradigm shifts in LANDesk itself as well.

Feel free to have a look / grab an eval copy of LD 2016 ... if you need help in impressing upon your folks why an upgrade would be a good idea (I'd argue "getting away from Windows Server 2003" alone should be a good enough reason) then our (pre-) sales'y folks should usually be able to help you out if need be.

There's a whirlwind 1-hour video tour of what's new in LANDesk 2016 available here - [Tech Brief On-Demand Webinar 2016] Overview of LANDESK Management Suite 2016 - that covers most of the novelties compared to 9.6 alone.

Hope that'll help .