4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 26, 2009 11:07 AM by ahe

DFS Share Issue with OSD

Rookie

Hi Guys,

I’m struggling to troubleshoot a problem I’m experiencing whilst creating a new OSD script.

I have created several OSD scripts in the past without issue.

Using the same method, I am now encountering the following error when attempting to use the same DFS share for the image location that I have used previously.

"cannot access the specified image file - verify the unc image path and user credentials"

Using the same account on a separate machine, I am able to successfully create copy and modify files on the share in question. The account I use for LANDesk is a svc account which has full access to both the share and the files. If I select a non dfs share – it seems to work OK.

I’m hoping it’s something simple but I can’t see the problem for looking and I’m starting to pull my hair out now. Any suggestions may just prevent baldness ensuing!

Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: DFS Share Issue with OSD
          ahe Expert

Hello Pete,

which LANDesk version do you use?

Do you use Windows Server2003 or Server2003 R2 for DFS?

Did you try the connect with WinPE or LinuxPE or DOS?

If you try DOS, it's not possible (s. DOS Loosens its Grip)

For Unix/Linux/MAC OS it depends on the version...

For W2K, XP, W2K3, Vista and PE is should work.

Regards

Axel

• 2. Re: DFS Share Issue with OSD
            zman Master

If it is a Windows 2000 server hosting the share there are some issues with DFS and Windows 2000 server.

• 3. Re: DFS Share Issue with OSD
              Rookie

Hi Axel,

I'm using WINPE running LANDesk 8.7. The DFS share relates to a box which is running  Microsoft(R) Windows(R) Server 2003, Standard Edition
              OS Version: 5.2.3790 Service Pack 2 Build 3790.

The annoying thing is it worked before and no changes (to my knowledge) have been applied.

I do have a workaround by putting in a dummy value and tweaking the resultant inf file but it's a pain in the backside to say the least.

Thanks for your time.

• 4. Re: DFS Share Issue with OSD
                ahe Expert

Hi Pete,

are you sure, that all servers are on the same R2 level? Did you add a new scheme in AD?

Is it possible to map the drive manually on WinPE?

If yes, can you see something below? (try to change directory)

We've made a (null session) share, copy the files to the share, give us all rights to the share and the files, map the share with WinPE (or XP) and see nothing!!!

Then we create a directory below the share, move the files to this directory, change directory (on Win PE or XP) and see all files!

This is a known 'security' feature since W2K3 by MS for such shares... :-|

Otherwise, no idea, yet... and I don't understand your last sentence (sorry...)

>>I do have a workaround by putting in a dummy value and tweaking the resultant inf file but it's a pain in the backside to say the least.

Regards

Axel