We want to get rid of the users interaction with windows patch management. So we decided to look into automated waking up the PCs at night and installing patches at that time.
At the moment users see when OS-Updates are due to install and the can reschedule the installation for 24hrs and can also reschedule any necessary reboots by 12hrs.
I am a little unclear how to set up LANRev exactly to handle this better.
Here is what i have so far:
- Configure BIOS on each PC to accept magic packet (can be done via DELL Command Configure)
- Configure Windows Energy Options for the network adapter to wake up on magic packet
- I am now able to wake up the targeted PC via the wake up command
Here is what i am thinking for the next steps, please correct me if I am wrong:
- Configure each and every Patch to
- install only at night (somewhat between 10pm and 4am should be ok)
- Install only when no user is logged in
- Create a repeating command for all Computers to wake up once a week or month or whatever
- Have the computer check for updates
Problems I can think up so far:
- Powering on all Computers at once will probably blow the fuses
- I would have to group the systems into smaller groups to minimize the risks
- How can I update the recurring command I get new Computers? afaik Commands can only be applied to computers, not computer groups (which i could make dynamic)
- Which command exactly, do i have to send to the newly woken PCs to have them check for updates and install them?
- Can I automatically shutdown the PCs after all updates have been installed? I know, I can configure the packages to shutdown the PC after installation, but multiple packages are installed, will it shutdown after the first successful installation?