3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 7, 2016 8:21 AM by dcogny

Assign leased laptops/computers to end users

Gazz Apprentice

Is there a way to assign equipment to end users as leased equipment with start and end lease dates? We have regular groups of users who will require equipment for short periods of time however the kit is often not returned at the agreed time so we need to have a lease tracking mechanism in place.

• 1. Re: Assign leased laptops/computers to end users
          dcogny Expert

Hi Gary,

Quick response: Yes.

Slow response: Depending on your needs can be pretty easy or a bit harder.

Full response:

- I would create the fields: IsLeased (Boolean), LeaseStart (Date), LeaseEnd(Date) on the CI Business Object

On the CI Form:

- Any CI can have an "Owner", so, if the "Owner" is not empty, show the "IsLeased?" checkmark.

- If "Is Leased" is checked (True) then LeaseStart and LeaseEnd will be visible and mandatory.

On the CI Workflows:

- A Workflow that checks LeaseEnd and send notifications [as you prefer; a few days earlier, the same day, the day after (This should be back already!) or all of them together]

- Notifications can go to the leaser, the Department which owns the CI, the Configuration Manager... your call.

Other options:

- You can have the CIs list to change the color of the leased items (Yellow for every leased items, orange when they are a day or two from the LeaseEnd date, red when the LeaseEnd date is already past) - This can be your only way of informing the Configuration Manager or can be used in conjunction with the "workflow" method above.

- You can have a Saved Search for Items with lease about to expire and another for expired leases.

- You can use those Saved Searches to create a specific "CIs leasing" Dashboard.

• 2. Re: Assign leased laptops/computers to end users
            Gazz Apprentice

Hi Daniel,

I am in the process of following your suggestion however I am stuck on how to create the rules suggested (see below). The IsLeased and date fields are now added to the form and are visible, I am assuming I was supposed to add them once created.

How do I go about setting this:

-Any CI can have an "Owner", so, if the "Owner" is not empty, show the "IsLeased?" checkmark.

- If "Is Leased" is checked (True) then LeaseStart and LeaseEnd will be visible and mandatory.

• 3. Re: Assign leased laptops/computers to end users
              dcogny Expert

Hi,

Sorry for the delay answering, Monday was holiday around here, and Tuesday... you can imagine after a long weekend!

1.- You go to the Form you want to use, and in the options for the field there is one for "Visible", there you can add an expression for when the field is going to be visible:

1.PNG

(Yes I know, there is a nvl() function, but I am not sure on how it works, so I always do the check this way)

2.- With that expression the IsLeased? checkmark will show up when the Owner is not empty.

3.- Use a similar expression for the Lease expiry date (or start date if you are adding one too): $(IsLeased == true)

4.- With that expression the dates will show up when it is checked.

If you want to make the dates mandatory:

1.PNG

You have to do it through a "Required" Business Rule.

Let me know if you get stuck!

Regards.

Daniel.