7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 31, 2017 9:58 AM by phoffmann

Applications in Portal Manager can download, but not install

SpencerTC Apprentice

Running: Ivanti Endpoint Manager 2017.1

I've got an issue regarding Ivanti's Portal Manager that I can't seem to find any documentation for.

When I deploy software to the device and choose "Policy" task type and "Recommended (display in portal)", the application shows up in that device's portal manager, as normal. However, when the user launches said software, it downloads, but then it just hangs eternally on "Installing..." and never progresses. I have it configured to install using the LocalSystem Account.

I found the file it downloads to the machine in "C:\Program Files (x86)\LANDesk\LDClient\sdmcache\Packages", and from there I can run the application and install it (as an admin), but for some reason, the installation never seems to kick off through Portal Manager.

Can anyone help me understand why? Is it a permissions issue? Is it a CSA issue?

• 1. Re: Applications in Portal Manager can download, but not install
          phoffmann SupportEmployee

Check the SDCLIENT logs.

For "things to show up in the portal" it's POLICYSYNC related stuff. Assuming this much works fine.

The "downloading & installing" of the package, is down to SDCLIENT. The following articles should be a starting point:

- How to troubleshoot Download Failures in Software Distribution (Advanced)

- How to quickly troubleshoot a Software Distribution job

... not assuming that there's a problem with downloading parts of the package, but "just in case" - Error: "Failed to download additional files" - may help.

As a reminder, you CAN enable more verbose logging (if needed) via the steps here -- How to enable Xtrace Diagnostic Logging .

In principle, this isn't a "policy portal" but a "package install" issue, so you should have to only worry about the SDCLIENT side of things .

Hope that helps.

• 2. Re: Applications in Portal Manager can download, but not install
            SpencerTC Apprentice

It seems as though most issues people experience are applications not showing up in the portal, however, my issue is that even though the packages appear, they simply do not install. The installation bar in the Portal just goes on eternally.

I took your advice and sought out the SDCLIENT logs. Here's an excerpt from one of my indefinite tasks.

Fri, 04 Aug 2017 10:41:32 The nostatus flag has NOT been set.

Fri, 04 Aug 2017 10:41:32 Core name '(redacted)' obtained from the registry

Fri, 04 Aug 2017 10:41:32 Sending task status, cmd line -coreandip=(redacted) -taskid=13 -retcode=229392258 "-ldap=CN=(redacted),OU=Staff,OU=Employees,DC=(redacted),DC=(redacted),DC=edu" -pkgid=13

Fri, 04 Aug 2017 10:41:35 ExpandEnvironmentVariables Result:

Fri, 04 Aug 2017 10:41:35 LSWD or Executable Client Thread

Fri, 04 Aug 2017 10:41:35 PackagePath: [\\(CORE)\Packages\PlutoTVSetup.exe]

Fri, 04 Aug 2017 10:41:36 Processing generic executable

Fri, 04 Aug 2017 11:04:13 Launched application 'C:\Program Files (x86)\LANDesk\LDClient\sdmcache\Packages\PlutoTVSetup.exe' ('') result 1

Fri, 04 Aug 2017 11:04:13 Installation result 8DB50001

Fri, 04 Aug 2017 11:04:13 RunPackageInstall: stop on returncode=8db50001 of package=Software - Pluto.TV (Portal Test)

Fri, 04 Aug 2017 11:04:13 processing of package is complete, result -1917517823 (0x8db50001 - code 1)

Any idea on what to make of this?
            Should I open a work order with support?

• 3. Re: Applications in Portal Manager can download, but not install
              LANDeskWizrd SSMMVPGroup

Just out of curiosity, does the installation require any user interaction? If you are running it as Local System and the install is waiting for someone to interact with it, it will just hang there for an extended period of time.

• 4. Re: Applications in Portal Manager can download, but not install
                SpencerTC Apprentice

Yes, these packages should display install prompts and some have user interaction. I've tried running it as Local System, and when that didn't work, I tried running it as a domain account with administrator privileges. Neither accounts made any difference. However, I did change the scheduled task settings "Download Options" to use "Pre-Cache" instead of "Download and Execute". That change seemed to allow the package to successfully download, and it even said the install finished, but neither of my test packages actually installed. I checked the list of installed programs, the start menu, and even the program files. None of my packages ever actually installed.

I really don't know what to try next.

• 5. Re: Applications in Portal Manager can download, but not install

To expand a little on what LANDeskWizrd has hinted at...

So - packages that require user interaction / prompts and that run as LOCALSYSTEM == not good. Because the prompt (from the setup tool) will be for Local System (i.e. - the logged on user will not see it).

You really do want to make sure / change your package so that it runs quietly / automatically if you're using local system / a specified domain user.

And while you *CAN* try to run a package in the "logged-on" user context, *BE AWARE* that the logged on user is usually very limited (or should be) in regards to permissions.

So you may want to work on your package a bit, to make sure it's quiet / doesn't prompt for things.

Does that help clarify things?

• 6. Re: Applications in Portal Manager can download, but not install
                    SpencerTC Apprentice

I found my problem.

I had to create a custom setting for "Distribution and Patch" that would be applied to the Portal Task, allowing users to see the prompts for the application.

Once I applied that, my users were able to see and install the requested applications.

So thankfully, that solved the issue I was having!

• 7. Re: Applications in Portal Manager can download, but not install

Cool - good to hear you got unstuck.

That sort of stuff tends to trip up folks (so don't feel bad) - and Microsoft keeps making things more complicated. So - test & re-test to make sure.