11 Replies Latest reply on Sep 14, 2017 7:11 AM by JGotze

Need to update fields submitted on a Service Request to the CI Object

JGotze Apprentice

Submitting a Service Request with 2 fields who's contents I want to have pushed to the same fields on the EnterpriseApplication CI.  I need to have the matching object name determine which EnterpriseApplication CI to update.  For instance, I submit the Service Request with the Application name "Zookeeper"  Two fields, RegSCT Notes and RegSCI Status are on this Service Request.  Upon submitting, I need to link to the matching EnterpriseApplication CI "Zookeeper" and update the 2 matching fields on that CI from the Service Request.  I have tried to do this with a composite quick action fired from the work flow. The relationship I chose seems to give me access to all the fields in question, but the fields are not updated,

• 1. Re: Need to update fields submitted on a Service Request to the CI Object
          Jonathan.Schmidt SupportEmployee

Hi JGotze,

I have a few questions:

-Can you share a screenshot or two about what you tried already?

-Are you using the OOTB relationship for CI and ServiceReq?

-Do you need the ability to link multiple SR's to a single CI? (If so I think you'll need a custom relationship as the OOTB one is a 1 to 1 cardinality.)

• 2. Re: Need to update fields submitted on a Service Request to the CI Object
            JGotze Apprentice

Hello, and thank you for your response.  I am using HEAT Service Management, Now IVANTI Service Management. The Relationship is one to one.  Where one service request will be linked to only one CI.  Adding screen shots to this reply.

• 3. Re: Need to update fields submitted on a Service Request to the CI Object
              Jonathan.Schmidt SupportEmployee

I'm not seeing anything in your screenshots that actually established the link from CI to SR.  I'm also not sure how establishing that link would allow you to use a relationship from CI to ServiceRequestParameters to operate.  That would need it's own link established as well if you wanted to use it directly.

How are you establishing the links between the records using these relationships?

• 4. Re: Need to update fields submitted on a Service Request to the CI Object
                JGotze Apprentice

Apologies.  The last attachment was old.  This one is the configuration I have been trying.  I'm having trouble understanding what this won't so the update to the CI.  I'm not advanced at this type of workflow so I'm hoping someone can look at this and see where I'm going wrong.

• 5. Re: Need to update fields submitted on a Service Request to the CI Object
                  AlasdairRobertson ITSMMVPGroup

Here is the approach I would take:

1. Add a SerivceRequestLink field to the CI# object

2. Create a relationship to CI#EnterpriseApplication (you could use a generic relationship to CI but it depends on where the field is you wish to update e.g. if it is on the Parent Object CI# then ok but if on the grouped object then you must use a grouped object relationship)

3. On your Request Offering add workflow blocks to search an link the CI you have entered on your service request parameter drop down

4. No you have a CI related to your Service Request and can use the normal run for child etc rules to update the fields on the target CI.

The key to making it work is to get the relationship part to work.

• 6. Re: Need to update fields submitted on a Service Request to the CI Object

This works but needed a few tweaks...copy all the data attributes from the Request Offering to ServiceRequest fields (it would be possible to get the data from the SRPs but this is easier) it is also needed to perform the search and link.  Create REquest offering fields and save before creating the workflow as you need to build the quick acitons before the request offering workflow.

Have fun playing with it, once you have this cracked you can see how we can update data on almost any object using relationships they are the key to making ISM work really well.

Oh last tip use the RecId as the identifier for the CI application pick list as this will give you only a single response to the search and link.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Need to update fields submitted on a Service Request to the CI Object
                      JGotze Apprentice

Thanks so much for sticking with me on this. I’ve been trying to get this working for weeks.  You may have to over explain a few things though, since I’m not as advanced.  In your explanation:

1. The first workflow you show. Is that a workflow called by the Service Offering, or is that the Service Offering workflow itself?

2. On your Search and link I see the relationship “AC_CIAssocServiceReq”  I don’t see that relationship.  Am I building that?

Since this update is not going to the CI object, but CI.EnterpriseApplication object, would I create it there?

3. The field $AC_CITempLink.  Does that represent a field on the Service Offering where I would store the Application RecID that you describe in your last Tip? Apologies for the hand holding through this.  This is probably intuitive to most

• 8. Re: Need to update fields submitted on a Service Request to the CI Object

Hopefully this will answer your queries:

1. The first workflow you show. Is that a workflow called by the Service Offering, or is that the Service Offering workflow itself?

• AR - The workflow is one from the Request Offering you are building

2. On your Search and link I see the relationship “AC_CIAssocServiceReq”  I don’t see that relationship.  Am I building that?

Since this update is not going to the CI object, but CI.EnterpriseApplication object, would I create it there?

• AR - Yes you need to build the relationship

3. The field $AC_CITempLink.  Does that represent a field on the Service Offering where I would store the Application RecID that you describe in your last Tip?

• AC_CITempLink is a Text(32) field on the ServiceReq object
                        • 9. Re: Need to update fields submitted on a Service Request to the CI Object
                          JGotze Apprentice

Still missing something.  I think I am following your suggested process properly but still no success.  Attached my detailed workflow.  I guess it is still something to do with the way I built the relationship, or possibly I should have built it on the CI.Enterprise Application object instead of Service Req?

• 10. Re: Need to update fields submitted on a Service Request to the CI Object

Ah ok, so the relationship does not need to be many to many because you only need the relationship for a very short period of time about 5 seconds on my test system forthe workflow to complete and the record update.  You only need ot do something different if you are expecting high volumes of requests in a sub 5-30 second window.

Relationship:

On you quick actions avoid stacking many components into a single action you can always create a category for the quick actions to sit in for organisation but they will only be published ot the administrator as internal services will run these therefore it doesn't matter if we have lots to break out the actions for easy reading.  You update of ServiceReq looks ok with the SRP values.  Then you have your search and link...that too looks ok.  Now the update commands do not look right.  I used a run for child quick action from the ServiceReq object, this then calls a quick action on the CI object (or CI#EnterpriseApplication) which in turn grabs the value fields form the ServiceReq object via our relationship to update the CI object.

ServiceReq Quick Action called in workflow

CI Quick Action call from above QA

If you get stuck just shout.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                            • 11. Re: Need to update fields submitted on a Service Request to the CI Object
                              JGotze Apprentice

This worked!!!   Thank you for hanging in here with me on this!!!  You've been awesome.