7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 30, 2009 4:16 AM by jan.buelens

Inventory Scanner Does Not Scan the Root of C: ???

Apprentice

We have thousands of PCs, which when using patch manager to deploy the Visual C++ 2005 patch, it dumped then contents of the archive to the root of one of the local drives (usually C:).

One way that I should be able to detect this is becase there is a file "install.exe".

However, install.exe is not showing up ANYWHERE in the DB (querying for Computer\Software\Package\File Name Computer\Software\Package\Path or .  This problem occurred months ago so it is not a wait for the scans to come in.

Can anyone explain why this might be and how to detect these C:\install.exe files?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Inventory Scanner Does Not Scan the Root of C: ???
          SupportEmployee

Mike, by default install.exe is in the "To be excluded" list in SLM.

excluded.JPG

Drag that guy into "To be scanned" and click "Make Available to Clients" and you are good to go. Send a sync scan, then see if it went to "To be dispositioned" if so drag the one you want into "To be scanned" , make available again, and your done.

-Brandon

• 2. Re: Inventory Scanner Does Not Scan the Root of C: ???
            Apprentice

Doesnt seem to be the case here - there is nothing listed in any of the 6 groups (see pic below):

• 3. Re: Inventory Scanner Does Not Scan the Root of C: ???
              SupportEmployee

Did you put install.exe in the search box?

By default we dont return results in SLM without a search string just incase there are thousands in any given group.

Note: This article is a good visual reference on setting up custom products in SLM and the steps needed to get specific files to be scanned for. Just skip step 1-3 for this scenario and drag install.exe from exlcuded to scanned instead. Then follow the directions from there.

http://community.landesk.com/support/docs/DOC-5763

• 4. Re: Inventory Scanner Does Not Scan the Root of C: ???
                Apprentice

Thanks Brandon, that has sorted it.

I rarely look at SLM as it doesnt have much value to us.

In disposiioned software (searching for 'exe') there are 614,321 items - there is far too much work involved to get even a fraction of these apps setup so we dont get much use out of SLM.

I am of the oppinion that common applications should be setup be LANDesk themselves for all customers to benefit from, rather than all customers having to out this huge amount of work in.

• 5. Re: Inventory Scanner Does Not Scan the Root of C: ???
                  Apprentice

I spoke too soon - this has not worked, i still do not have any machines showing C:\install.exe - even after full scanning machines with this file present.

I have searched all the different sections in SLM under Inventory\Files and moved all references to install.exe to the "To be scanned" folder.

Nothing has worked - please help!!

• 6. Re: Inventory Scanner Does Not Scan the Root of C: ???
                    SupportEmployee

Mike, you will want to look at the scan file the machine produces to ensure c:\install.exe is included in the scan.

To do this add /o=c:\output.SCN to your inventory scanner shortcut. Then open the file in notepad searching for c:\install.exe.

If it is in the scan then there are two likely scenarios.

The file header has different file information in it, or insufficient info.

The file alreadty exists in the DB under a different name.

If it is not in the scan then the file has no header or we missed a step in the SLM process of adding the file.

-Brandon

• 7. Re: Inventory Scanner Does Not Scan the Root of C: ???
                      Employee

I know the file you are talking about. I can see it sitting on several of my test machines. When you right-click it, you get a file description = External Installer. And that's the name under which it shows up in the inventory.

You don't need to know that name to query for the file. If all you know is that the installation path is c:\install.exe, you build a query by selecting software, package, path, then select c:\install from the list of displayed values. You end up with this query:

"Computer"."Software"."Package"."Path"  =  "C:\INSTALL.EXE"

I have searched all the different sections in SLM under Inventory\Files and moved all references to install.exe to the "To be scanned" folder.That wasn't necessary. I just had a single install.exe in "to be scanned". I didn't bother getting the file size right because it is "usually" ignored.

"I am of the oppinion that common applications should be setup be LANDesk themselves for all customers to benefit from, rather than all customers having to out this huge amount of work in"

It is rarely necessary to plough through the thousands of items in the "to be dispositioned" list. Except in special situations (such a non-MSI application that doesn't have a shortcut in the start menu), the scanner will automatically discover applications.