3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 10, 2011 6:35 AM by smiddleton

Setup of Inbound Mail Manager

Apprentice

Good Morning,

I have a question about the inbound mail manager setup. When setting up the mail box on LANDesk do you need to have a mailbox setup on the actual mailserver for it to connect to? I am assuming the answer is yes from this:

In the User Name box, type the name of the user whose mailbox will be used
      to retrieve e-mails, that is, the mailbox that all inbound e-mails will be sent to.
      For example, company\support.

That's out of the Administrator documentation but that's the only section. Does the e-mail address you're asking it to use have to exist on the server for the service to poll. Silly question I know but I'd rather be clear.

Many Thanks,

Anthony Mitchell

• 1. Re: Setup of Inbound Mail Manager
          smiddleton Expert

Hi Anthony,

Yes there must be an Account in your AD with a mailbox.

You can use multiple accounts (depending on version), for example 1 account as [email protected] which you log new incidents from and another account as [email protected]

alternatively you can have just 1 mailbox for inbound emails and outbound or have a seperate mailbox for outbound.

But each  email address you want it to use must exist on your server.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Steve

• 2. Re: Setup of Inbound Mail Manager
            Apprentice

I assumed that would be the case but it's worth checking

Do you know if it clears the mailbox down when it polls the messages so that the mailbox doesn't get to quota or does this have to be done manually?

Many Thanks,

Anthony Mitchell

• 3. Re: Setup of Inbound Mail Manager
              smiddleton Expert

No it doesn't clear down the mailbox.

However depending on your version of exchange you can do certain things to assist with this.

For example on exchange 2003 you can create a mail store that is set to delete items older than 2 weeks.

It has to be a seperate mail store as it takes effect on all mailbox's on the mail store.

Regards,

Steve