1 2 Previous Next 22 Replies Latest reply on Jul 18, 2011 7:05 AM by EMiranda Go to original post
      • 15. Re: Hardware Independent Scripted Installation
        EMiranda Expert

Zferrini wrote:

Why would you want to impact the user in a negative way if the machine will run to EOL with the current install?

can you explain more, I dont see any negative impact by providing users a fresh image with all the latest microsoft updates, software and custom business configurations.

• 16. Re: Hardware Independent Scripted Installation
          Apprentice

We have 2500 systems.  MDT is free and works great.  The only real benefit of LANDesk is zero touch (but we really aren't anywhere near a point where we could deploy zero touch) and it's PXE reps system for deployment in remote plants.  LANDesk's driver management is weak at best.  It's flexibility is awful.  It's a PITA to me that I can't add criteria to a task in provisioning.  For instance, in MDT I have a task to install a piece of software that is model specific.  With LANDesk, there is no good way to install that software as part of provisioning.  The closest I could get is to policy it out post deployment.

• 17. Re: Hardware Independent Scripted Installation
            Apprentice

Easy enough, #1 my machine dont use an image so it is easier to take care of the machine and it doenst slow down with proper care.

#2, How many user that you know of like getting their familair machine look and feel to get yanked out from under them every year.

• 18. Re: Hardware Independent Scripted Installation
              Apprentice

We have 3500 systems spread across 10 models, all Lenovo, I have two templates, one desktop and one laptop total, and can cater to any machine and software needed.  I do agree that MDT is free and that is what I used to create the unattend file, but I don't limit myself to what LANDesk says can be done.  I have been using provisioning since LDMS 8.7 on our workstations and have even created job class software distribution using provisioning.  So any machine specific software is addressed in the separate templates and job classes on five others that are in the SD portal.  One caveat, I use the execute file method only, the SDClient is just to slow to be of much use.

• 19. Re: Hardware Independent Scripted Installation
                EMiranda Expert

maybe its just we are in different environments.  We have ~15,000  nodes and scripted installs, will just not work for us, but if it works for you, I'm not knocking on you.  LANDesk offers many opportunities to get from A to B. Its like a big choose your own adventure book.

• 20. Re: Hardware Independent Scripted Installation
                  Apprentice

Oh yes it is an adventure, we have 3500+ nodes spread across 220 remote sites.  I dont believe in the old school image deployment as we have so many business units that we use a more vanilla windows install and then cater the software to the business unit. It is a better model for us and it works much better and has cut the cost of support in half.  It is what you make of it and what works best for your environment.

• 21. Re: Hardware Independent Scripted Installation
                    Apprentice

I don't understand why other companies are so lucky to have so few models to support.  I have to provide support for 23 major models, and most of those I have to provide images/drivers for XP, Win7 32 bit, and Win7 64 bit.  I think I'd pull my hair out if I had to build a static image to support 23 major models (and countless variations of each model).

Laptops:

Lenovo T60

Lenovo T61

Lenovo T400

Lenovo T410

Lenovo T420

Lenovo T520

Lenovo X61 Tablets

Lenovo X200 Tablets

Lenovo X201 Tablets

Fujitsu T4220 Tablets

HP nw8440

HP Elitebook 8510w

HP Elitebook 8530w

HP Elitebook 8740w

Desktops:

Lenovo M90p

Lenovo M91p

HP dx5150

HP dc5750

HP dc5800

HP dc7900

HP 6000 pro

Asus B202

Asus EB1007

• 22. Re: Hardware Independent Scripted Installation
                      EMiranda Expert

DanDinolfo wrote:

I don't understand why other companies are so lucky to have so few models to support....

right with you man,  we have 26 models for XP, 9 models and counting for Win7 x86 and just diving into x64 with 6 models.

1 2 Previous Next