3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 8, 2012 8:06 AM by MarXtar

How agents are deployed ?

Rookie

Hi,

Could you please answer these questions please ?

I wanted to how what are the different methods to deploy agents on clients ? Is it using GPO ?

Which protocol the agent uses to transmit the machine's information to the server ? Is it secure ?

For application deployment, which protocol is used too ? Is it also secure ?

Thanks a lot.

• 1. Re: How agents are deployed ?
          MarXtar ITSMMVPGroup

Lots of questions - some quick answers:

What are the different methods to deploy agents on clients ? Is it using GPO ?

• Manual, push from server over RPC (SSH for MAC/Linux), GPO
            • Can use executable installs
            • Can also use small footprint MSI called Advance Agent for low bandwidth install and use of Peers when deploying to machines over slow links

Which protocol the agent uses to transmit the machine's information to the server ? Is it secure ?

• Inventory is uploaded over TCP/IP ports but also can be sent over SSL 443 when supporting clients over the internet (using the Cloud Services Appliance)

For application deployment, which protocol is used too ? Is it also secure ?

• UNC or HTTP
          • Secure because we use authentication for the source, but also because files have MD5 checksums so that the correct file is used. Clients can also act as peers and we can use multicast for distribution (Targeted Multicast)
          • Clients will only communicate with their management server using digital certificates to ensure secure management

Very brief overview, might be worth you getting a demo or discussion with a partner to go through these in more detail and how they would work for you.

Mark McGinn

MarXtar Ltd

http://landesk.marxtar.co.uk

LANDesk Silver ESP

The One-Stop Shop for LANDesk Enhancements

- Wake-On-WAN - Distributed Wake-On-LAN, Scheduled Power Down, and SWDist Sequencing

- State Notifier - Real-Time Device & User State Inventory Updating & Alerting

Update - WoW & State Notifier now integrate for even more functionality

• 2. Re: How agents are deployed ?
            Rookie

Wow, thanks for the quick and excellent reply.

I will try a demo but I want to understand the theoretical part

Some other questions :

What happens if a new version of the software/agent is available ? Is there a button or something to update the software automatically ?

What are the prerequisites ? I guess a Database has to be installed to gather the collected information.

Is it a Web oriented application ? (IIS required then I Guess?)

That's all for me. Thanks in Advance

• 3. Re: How agents are deployed ?
              MarXtar ITSMMVPGroup

Hi, no problems:

What happens if a new version of the software/agent is available ? Is there a button or something to update the software automatically ?

• LANDesk can patch itslef, content is downloaded, agents report if they need a patch and LANDesk can distribute the patch.

What are the prerequisites ?

I guess a Database has to be installed to gather the collected information.

• Yes - SQL Express included or use MS SQL2k5/8 or Oracle

Is it a Web oriented application ? (IIS required then I Guess?)

• IIS is used on the LANDesk server for distribution and also web-services

I'm obviously a bit biased but I think it's a damn fine product.

Mark McGinn

MarXtar Ltd

http://landesk.marxtar.co.uk

LANDesk Silver ESP

The One-Stop Shop for LANDesk Enhancements

- Wake-On-WAN - Distributed Wake-On-LAN, Scheduled Power Down, and SWDist Sequencing

- State Notifier - Real-Time Device & User State Inventory Updating & Alerting

Update - WoW & State Notifier now integrate for even more functionality