3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 3, 2008 7:39 PM by danpixley

OSD Multicasting only Supports 2 GB Images?

Apprentice

I've been told by LANDesk's tech support that LANDesk OSD using Multicasting can only be done with images under 2 GB, even when using WinPE.  The tech told me that neither split image files can be used, nor files that are over 2 GB in size due to limitations of "DOS and the multicasting tools".  Is this really the case?   

I have been having trouble expirementing with TMC and OSD.  I get an error for each target machine, "Multicast server cannot access the file".   More specifically, each targetted device gets the following error in the log file: ""(FAILED) HNC120-01","FAILED",1312,"0:00:00","6/2/2008 1:38:13 PM","6/2/2008 1:38:13 PM","Targeted Multicast""

I've tried specifying the Multicast Rep, and letting LANDesk choose one.  Since we are on an AD domain, I've tested that the specifyed Multicast Rep could access the file share as the Local Service.  I have also tried using the file server's IP address and FQDN to rule out any DNS issues.  I have also tried prestaging the image on the specified Multicast Rep.  I ran Wireshark on the specified Multicast rep, and the only traffic it recieved from the Core server were broadcasts meant for the target machines.  Nothing seems to work.  Calling up LANDesk support gave me the answer in my first paragraph, which is a somewhat disappointing response!

I really want to try LANDesk TMC with OSD, particularly with prestaging the image.  Imaging speeds are very important for my organization, and I was hoping to speed up the process with prestaging, and maybe a few other tricks. 

Thanks,

Dan

• 1. Re: OSD Multicasting only Supports 2 GB Images?
          phoffmann SupportEmployee

Urr - no.

Think someone got his wires crossed there 

What we DO do is that we only create image-files in sizes of 2 GB chunks (whether you're in WinPE, Linux or DOS).

The reason for this is DOS's (well - technically FAT-16's) limitation on filesize. DOS can only handle 2 GB files - which (as they say) presents a problem when you have 10 GB of image to put somewhere.

So we split it up into 2 GB chunks by default, this ensures that - no matter where/how you take the image, you can always restore it in DOS (the "worst case scenario" so to speak). Other vendors (Ghost, Powerquest, and so on) also provide an option for creating images in 2 GB chunks for this reason. We just do it by default, whereas others do things differently (I believe they prefer to go for the "single large file" approach by default for the most part).

Multicast is not affected/limited by this - all that happens is that it has to distribute 5x 2 GB files rather than a single 10 GB file (in my hypothetical example). Multicast definitely does not have a "one file only"-limitation. That would be somewhat against the whole idea of it :).

Hope this clarifies.

Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead.

• 2. Re: OSD Multicasting only Supports 2 GB Images?
            cknott SupportEmployee

Whoever told you that is incorrect.  They might have been referring to the fact that the LANDesk OSD Multicast can only be used on Single partition images.  See Paul's excellent explanation on why we span 2 gig files.

Multicast for OSD is really slow.  If its speed you are looking for, using Multicast OSD isn't the answer. 

You would be better off staging the image files on servers local to the workstations and having the script map to the local server (relative to the machine).  You can create folders in the PXE boot menu up to 5 levels deep if you need to organize your scripts by location. 

Also, check in the ldlog share on the core and see if there are the MCC and MCS log files.

I haven't seen that multicast error, you could try enabling xtrace for the Targeted Multicast stuff on the core which might give more info.  Its a pretty cryptic log, but sometimes it can help.  Instructions for getting it are below. 

How to enable XTRACE:

XTrace support is enabled by creating DWORD values under the XTrace registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Intel\LANDesk\XTrace

Note if this key does not exist create it

These DWORD values need to be set to a non-zero value(value of 1 is on). Each application has it’s own unique value

Tmcclnt.dll       Tmcclnt

Tmcsvc.exe       Tmcsvcexe

The name of the XTrace log is the value name with a .xlg extension. This log file will show up in the same directory as the application that is being traced.  Make sure you turn it off, because the .xlg files will continue to grow rapidly.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: OSD Multicasting only Supports 2 GB Images?
              Apprentice

Thanks.  I will try that.  I also put in a support ticket.