14 Replies Latest reply on Apr 18, 2010 7:57 AM by AdamWilden

Status escalation points no longer triggering when clock stopped.

Expert

Hi,

We have a  problem affecting our main Incident process since we upgraded.

Since 7.3.1 certain status escalations no longer work for us as they used to (because we are told that from 7.3.1 escalations no longer trigger if the clock is stopped) so I'm looking for ways around this.

Basically we want to be able to trigger an email notifcation/colour change when we move to a status such as "Agreed Resolution".  This all worked fine up until 7.3.1 but as these statuses stop the clock the escalation points simply don't kick in anymore.

We can't seem to think of any way around this.

An example of the process goes:

Status = In Progress > Action = "Agreed resolution" > Automatic Action = "Stop Clock" > Status = "Agreed Resolution"

We had an escalation point set against entering the status "Agreed Resolution" to kick in at 0% and trigger emails, colour changes etc.

Any advice gratefully accepted... - Adam.

(Also -  does anyone know if it's possible to change the Response Level via process?)

• 1. Re: Status escalation points no longer triggering when clock stopped.
          Expert

Just an update - this seems to be one of those areas where every time we get an idea and follow it up we run into a wall...

Things we have considered just for the colour change are:

Triggering an escalation on leaving status (Not possible it seems).

Adding an escalation point to the process at this point (Doesn't seem to have necessary options).

Using a calculation to change colour based on the status (can't see a way to actually do this).

Create a holding status and rasie an escalation against it, followed by a condition to see if that particular escalation has triggered before moving onto the real status and stopping the clock (can't see how to set up the condition)

This lost functionality is very important to us and we've spent an waful lot of time trying to get back to where we were before the upgrade.

We were very hopeful we could use calculations but I think they may be too limited.

I'm posting these thoughts in case it triggers any dieas in any of your good selves that might help us.

Thanks again.

• 2. Re: Status escalation points no longer triggering when clock stopped.
            aparker Employee

Hi Adam,

I may being particularly slow today and I may also get a telling off from my collegues in support for not knowing something, but can you describe what escalations were working before when the clock was stopped? I would have made the assumption that an escalation would stop everything when the clock is stopped. This is why we stop the clock. The limitation has always been that if the escalation was on the main process, the clock stops all escalations on the main process, not just a specified one. The only way to get around this is to launch a task with it's own escalation and you can manage that one.

As far as what you're trying to do, could the notification just be done as a process action leading into the Agreed Resolution status?

Andy

• 3. Re: Status escalation points no longer triggering when clock stopped.
              Expert

Hi Andy,

Thanks for replying - It's a very long story !

An example:  On 7.2.6 and previous versions our Incident process triggered a colour change when the status was changed from "In Progress" to "Agreed Resolution" (amongst others).  It also stopped the clock.  This was designed by LANDesk contractors and worked very well.  We are now told that this was only possible via a "bug" which has since been "fixed",  (although we've been trying to resolve this since the New Year and even LANDesk support only found out about the change a week or two ago).

We are a reference site and visitors have been impressed with our large Monitor screens which used this colour coding to instantly show which calls required action etc...  No more.

TBH we've even seriously considered moving back to 7.2.6 and staying with that until we review our situation.

The LANDesk contractors who wrote our process triggered an escalation at 0% on entering the new status.  This escalation worked fine even though at the same time the clock was stopped, presumably because no time had to elapse before it kicked in.

It's this functionality that has changed in v7.3

Hence we are looking for an alternative way to trigger the colour change  (- as you say, an alternative email notification is easy to put in).

So any help towards fixing this is very gratefullty accepted.

• 4. Re: Status escalation points no longer triggering when clock stopped.
                Expert

p.s. having read your reply aagain, a process action would be great  - we juct can't see how to trigger a colour change via one... 

• 5. Re: Status escalation points no longer triggering when clock stopped.
                  Expert

Having gone through some of thesub-forums here it does seem it might be possible to update the colour attribute via a process calculation, process action (or both).  Can't actually find any details as yet though.

TBH this is actually what the original escalation points were put in to acheive, and would actually offer a more elegant solution.

So please ignore the original attempt to continue using escalation points, and any experts in this area are very welcome to offer advice!

I know there are some very clever people here (yes, I'm resorting to flattery ) - this is a bit beyond my skills. 

• 6. Re: Status escalation points no longer triggering when clock stopped.
                    aparker Employee

Hi Adam,

I think I have worked out a method by which we can do what you're looking for as part of the process design. This is something that can only be done using 7.3.x. of the product. I'm trying to put together something that will explain how to do it. Watch this space.

Andy

• 7. Re: Status escalation points no longer triggering when clock stopped.
                      aparker Employee

So here we go....

As I have already mentioned, this solution is only possible in 7.3.x as it uses calculations to provide the information. Having discussed a variety of solutions, all possible, with Stu, we've come up with this one as the most simple to implement.

1. Create a new action in Process Designer (NOT a collection) and set the Allow Association With Window to 'True'. Let's call it Update Incident.
                      2. Add the Colour attribute to your default Incident window.
                      3. Modify you Incident process to include the newly created Update Incident action as an automatic action just before the status you want the colour to change on.
                      4. When the window open for editing, youll need to make sure you set all of the mandatory fields using Value Type base on their existing values.
                      5. Right-click on the Colour attribute and select Calculation.
                      6. Having already worked out the number that is associated with the colour you want to display, just set Value equal to that number and save the action.

That's it!

When you run the process, the colour value will change on the way into the status, so any query run on processes at that status will be displayed with that defined colour. There are some bits and pieces that you could consider, especially around the what is displayed on the default window, but essentially this should get you up and running, especially if you combine this with the automatic 'Add Reminder' action.

Andy

• 8. Re: Status escalation points no longer triggering when clock stopped.
                        aparker Employee

Ooh! Nearly forgot. A PS from Stu and Lara is that as it's a calculation, you can be even more clever with the decision on what that colour is chosen. That's just being far too clever in my opinion.

• 9. Re: Status escalation points no longer triggering when clock stopped.
                          Stu McNeill Employee

Another couple of quick P.S.s are that we're only using a calculation to populate the filed becaues it will always be ReadOnly when we add it to the window so you can't explicitly set a value.  The calculation though simply needs to be "return 16777215" or similar.

The other thing to mention is what Andy touched on is that when you create the automatic action you must fill out any mandatory fields.  If you use a default inicdent window you should only have to worry about Title, and you can right-click it and select Title as a runtime value or type in (Title) as a placeholder so it gets set to whatever it currently is.

• 10. Re: Status escalation points no longer triggering when clock stopped.
                            Expert

Cool - I think this sounds what we are looking for.

We have a reference visit by another Uni tomorrow so I'm not going to play with the processes tonight, just in case...

I'll let you know how I get on later in the week.

As I said, this is improtant to us so many thanks.

• 11. Re: Status escalation points no longer triggering when clock stopped.
                              Expert

Hi Folks,

Finally got a chance to try this but can't get it to work 

I've added the auto action and calculation to my process, and when triggered you can see on the window that it the colour attribute has correctly changed value.

But the queries still don't reflect this colour change (although the colour attribute is included and they show response level driven ones OK).

E.g. I click on the Action to change status to Agreed Resolution, it triggers the auto-action and the value on the colour field on the window changes to 225225225.

I then click on Dashboard and refresh the queries but the relevant query shows the incident still in default white.

It also behaves starngely in that when the relevant incidnet is highlighted and then another incident highlighted in teh query results list, the original incident stops showing any text in the query...

Am I doing something obvious wrong.  I think I followed your instructions to the letter...

We are on 7.3.1

Thanks.

• 12. Re: Status escalation points no longer triggering when clock stopped.
                                Expert

p.s. I realise I used an RGB colour code in my example.

I've also tried:  11458813

Whatever I try it the query doesn't display the new colour

The attached shows the strange highlighting behaviour... clicking on either of the bottom two Incidents brings the text back temporarily.

Cheers.

• 13. Re: Status escalation points no longer triggering when clock stopped.
                                  Expert

Hi Guys,

We have now tried creating an entire new process to test this solution but are still getting exactly the same problem.

The colour attribute is changing as intended, but not affecting the queries.

We'd really appreciate any help as we have run out of ideas about why this isn't working for us.

Again, I know this seems a minor issue but this functionailty was/is very important to us - one team has already informed us that they are looking at an alternative product, partly  as we have been unable to resolve this now for 4 months.

We are also open to any other possible solutions - we don't mind how much work is required or how complex - we just need to be able to match the functionailty we had in previous versions.

Thanks again.

• 14. Re: Status escalation points no longer triggering when clock stopped.
                                    Expert

Sorry to keep bumping this thread but we've just spent another few hours trying to get this to work and are still scratching our heads.

We've followed instructions to the letter (as far as we know) and tried numerous variations.

If anyone else has used a calculation to change a colour value can they post an example?

We are simply returning a value, e.g. " return 11458813".

Looking through other open incidents the colour attribute on the window shows numerous unlikley values (e.g. - 345142, -1).  The one on our test incindet correctly shows the new value (e.g. 11458813) but is not being picked up by the query.

It's a real shame as in addition to this vital functionailty the ability to change colour on conditions would be very handy.

Andy/Stu, you mention that this was the simplest of methods you found.  I agree, it seemed a very quick and easy answer!  .   But we've spent an awful lot of overtime unsuccessfully trying to get it to work so can you let us know any other methods you thought of?

I really do apologise for keep harping on but until we can get back this functionailty I can't move forward with other things.

Thanks - Adam.