12 Replies Latest reply on Aug 6, 2010 9:23 PM by EMiranda

Image X capturing Windows 7 failure

Apprentice

Upon installing a clean OS of Win 7, I noticed it partitioned 100 meg for system reserved first and the rest was partition for the OS. When running the capture script it would flicker for a moment and then it would complete. The image size is only 8megs. I don't know if it has to do with the 100 meg that Windows 7 partitioned as system reserved or not. I've attached the log for the capture script.

• 1. Re: Image X capturing Windows 7 failure
          zman Master

This looks a little strange:

h:\INFORM~1\APPLIC~1\Landesk\OSD imagex.exe

Should it not be:

h:\INFORM~1\APPLIC~1\Landesk\OSD\imagex.exe

Also even though it is encrypted I would remove the administrator password from your log files.

• 2. Re: Image X capturing Windows 7 failure
            Jared Barneck SupportEmployee

No, that is correct.

It is calling RunBatch which takes a parameter of the working directory and a parameter for the exe to run.

• 3. Re: Image X capturing Windows 7 failure
              zman Master

Cool thanks for the correction.

• 4. Re: Image X capturing Windows 7 failure
                Jared Barneck SupportEmployee

Check diskpart and see which partition is the C drive.  Looks like the ImageX switches used will only capture the C: partition.  If WinPE is assigned the vendor paritition to the C: then you are only capturing one partition, the small one.

Sorry, I don't know know how to make ImageX capture both partitions.  With ImageW it just captures all partitions on the first drive so this is not a problem.  I assume ImageX has some way to support this.

• 5. Re: Image X capturing Windows 7 failure
                  EMiranda Expert

Rhyous is correct. On win7 and vista when you boot into winpe, c: is the 100mb restore partition and d: is the windows system partition.  That is why bcdedit.exe is run after a deployment job to fix volume letters.

There is a thread here about multiple partitioning in imageX - http://community.landesk.com/support/message/42212#42212

I have done some research on the topic and most of my findings have led to creating 2 seperate .wim, one for each partition.  But don't hold me on that because I am no imagex expert, it seems like the most confusing imaging utility out of the 3 (imagew, ghost, imagex).

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Image X capturing Windows 7 failure
                    Apprentice

I believe I'm going back to using ImageW2. Thanks everyone.

• 7. Re: Image X capturing Windows 7 failure
                      EMiranda Expert

We are a 15,000 node company and we moved from ghost to ImageW2.  I think it works great and does really well with windows 7.  If they only add the ability to inject files into the image with tbiview, it would be the best utility especially since it is included with LANDesk for free.

• 8. Re: Image X capturing Windows 7 failure
                        zman Master

ImageW and ImageX both have good points and bad points. I recently went to the OSD class and noticed that ImageX was significantly slower and produced a much larger file. However, ImageX has some great features - non destructive, updatable -service offline, include multiple images in one, can install to a partition of any size, etc... depends on what you are looking for.

• 10. Re: Image X capturing Windows 7 failure
                          Employee

ImageX is much easier to manipulate through provisioning than through OSD.  The OSD scripts for ImageX basically assume a single partition capture, single partition deployment scenario.  Multiple partitions with a file based imaging utility are inherently difficult because you need to know what size to make the partitions.  For example, is partition 1 a 100 MB system partition, a 3 GB OEM partition, or is it actually the OS partition that you want to have be 20 GB with the remainder being a data partition?  There is a lot of required input to know the answers to all those questions.  In provisioning you can simply set up actions to do all those things for you.

Additionally with file based imaging you capture at the partition level, or more correctly at the volume level.  This means that before you deploy you need to have a volume created, formatted, and mounted and ready to go.  Of course doing this requires the answers to those questions in the preceding paragraph.

Sector based imaging (such as ImageW) captures at the hard drive level, so it captures the partition data as well as the actual file data.  This means that you can take an empty disk, run the restore, and voila, you've got all partitions, files, etc. put into place.  This is a much simpler method for doing multiple partitions because the reality is that the program itself doesn't care how many partitions there are.

The downsides to sector based imaging are that you can't dynamically add files to the image (like EMiranda mentioned) and that you have to make sure you capture on a smaller drive than you are going to deploy to.  The second drawback is a result of the idea that we capture partition information along with actual file information.  When we go to lay down the image a partition will need to be created that is the same size as the partition that was captured.

My recommendations for Windows 7 would be:

Use ImageW for OSD scripts or use provisioning for whatever other tool you would like to use.  This should give the best results in the easiest way.

• 11. Re: Image X capturing Windows 7 failure
                            cyberdemon Apprentice

I disagree. ImageW is bunk. It doesn't work ALL THE TIME.

Unless you have a fresh new HD out of the box to use with ImageW, you will not get it to work.

Who replaces all new hardware/HD's on laptops as a regular duty? none!

You are always re-imaging old HD's (95% of the time).

I have yet to get it to work on my core server/environment. And if you are willing to show me how to get it to work, by all means, contact me to show me that it does work. Otherwise, i'll be putting a ticket in the near future to get one of you'z employees to show me that it still doesn't work.

Every single time I've tried, it fails immediately. So, in my mind (first time to try it months ago) if it doesn't work the first time, or the second time, then it's garbage.

ImageX works.

and ghost...well, that's a license you have to have your company pay for...so, it's out of the question.

that leaves only ImageX.

• 12. Re: Image X capturing Windows 7 failure
                              EMiranda Expert

cyberdemon,

One of the good things about LANDesk compared to other products is your not locked down and have to rely on one solution for imaging.  If imageX works for you, then use it. There is no right or wrong way.  We all just care that the machine is imaged, how you image it is up to you.  But i can tell you from my experiences with LANDesk and imaging is they all work.  Each imaging tool has its pros and cons, so it is up to you to decide what suites you best for your environment.

To say that imageW is bunk because you cannot get it to work right is a little far fetched.  I use it everyday and its my personal preference over imagex and ghost.  I have our team imaging new computers and reimage old computers everyday with the same 2 scripts.  1 script for a brand new computer and 1 for a reimage. One image supporting over 25 models and the only differences between the scripts is on the new harddrive we prompt for a hostname and the reimage we pull the hostname from the LANDesk database.  We don't go out and purchase all brand new hardware or hard drives to compensate for our new imaging solution.

If you really wanted to get imageW working talk to LANDesk or  post your issues in the forum and there are tons of smart people here that can help you get it to work right or do your homework and read the full documentation - http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/downloads/ifw_en_manual.pdf

or continue using imagex, if it works for you then all the power to you.