4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 15, 2010 9:09 AM by Jared Barneck

OS Deployment

Rookie

Hi,

By using MDT in Microsoft we can use single image for deploying different model machines irrespective of laptops or desktop.

After the OS installation it will detect the hardware and install the S/W's repectively. This is very good feature, no need to keep mulitplie images.

Is this feature available in Landesk. Kindly let me know.

Regards

Prem

• 1. Re: OS Deployment
          phoffmann SupportEmployee

The term you're looking for is HII - or "Hardware Independant Imaging" - and it's very much a focus of LANDesk Management Suite 9.0. So the short answer is "yes".

You can find various FAQ's / documents on the subject in community. The section on LDMS 9 documents does include a few for OS Deployment too - you can find the central article here:

- http://community.landesk.com/support/docs/DOC-7423

- Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead

• 2. Re: OS Deployment
            Rookie

Hi,

Sure i will go thought the doc. How about the post install softwares like, if it's laptop install the set of software or desktop install another set of softwares.

REgards

Prem

• 3. Re: OS Deployment
              EMiranda Expert

prembabu wrote:

Hi,

Sure i will go thought the doc. How about the post install softwares like, if it's laptop install the set of software or desktop install another set of softwares.

REgards

Prem

Out of the box, LANDesk HII does not have this ability.  The comminity here is pushing hard to get this feature in the next or future release of the product.  However, that does not mean it can't be done.  There are actually many ways to do post install software based off of model.  You can schedule provisioning templates or software distribution jobs based off of querys.  You can script it with WMI calls. I can assure you that it is possible because I do it all the time. I can lay down one "universal" image and depending if it is a desktop, laptop, Dell, HP or IBM...it will get it's own proprietary software.

And not to mention, LANDesk has one of the best community resources ever, so we can definitely get you going.

• 4. Re: OS Deployment
                Jared Barneck SupportEmployee

Usually if you have policies configured for these model types, the policies are applied after the imaging process just fine based on your different models.