6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 13, 2011 7:49 PM by brendonte

ImageW ver2 deploy error of Windows 7

Apprentice

Like in Vista, windows installs the OS on the second partition and saves the first partition for bitlocker or whatever else. I had issues using ImageX so I decided to use ImageW ver2. After capturing and deploying a windows 7 workstation image using imagew ver2, the workstation would boot to the windows 7 splash screen for a few seconds then it'll flicker to a BSD then restart. It'll do this a couple of times then the Windows 7 Startup Repair begins. I've tried to deploy to different workstations and it's doing the same thing. Do you think it could be related to the assignments of the partitions?

Logs are attached and a copy of the script.

• 1. Re: ImageW ver2 deploy error of Windows 7
          EMiranda Expert

Did you sysprep your win7 image before you captured it? if so what options did you use? /generalize? /audit? /oobe?

after the first auto-reboot when it BSD you should be able to hit F8 and disable automatic restart on errors, this will give you a better understanding of the error.  It could be driver related.

There are also sysprep logs here that can give you more info, you can view them in winpe with the command prompt

%WINDIR%\System32\Sysprep\Panther

%WINDIR%\Panther\

%WINDIR%\Panther\Unattendgc

• 2. Re: ImageW ver2 deploy error of Windows 7
            Apprentice

No sysprep was done to this workstation. I'm trying to do a simple 1 workstation image backup.

• 3. Re: ImageW ver2 deploy error of Windows 7
              Apprentice

Here is the message after hitting F8 to disable auto restart:

A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer....

***STOP: 0x0000007B (0x80786B58, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

The only thing I've found on Microsoft's website is that it relates to drivers, it appears. But what doesn't make any sense to me is that I'm pushing this back down to a machine with the same exact specs.

• 4. Re: ImageW ver2 deploy error of Windows 7
                EMiranda Expert

STOP: 0x0000007B is def a driver error, related to the mass storage driver.  I wish i could point you in the right direction, but i have always imaged using sysprep.  So i'm not as familiar with deploying an image non-syspreped unless it was back on the same exact machine (not same type of machine).

If you are not syspreping the image, you will have the same SID on every machine and you manually renaming each machine after it will be laid down?

• 5. Re: ImageW ver2 deploy error of Windows 7
                  Rookie

You have probably already resolved this but what SATA operation were you using ACHI or ATA. We have found that we get the BSOD when imaging depending on the SATA operation selected in the BIOS. If that wasn't what the solution could you please post what you did to resolve this?

Thanks!

• 6. Re: ImageW ver2 deploy error of Windows 7
                    Apprentice

You are correct. It was the SATA operation. We changed it back to ATA and all worked well.