12 Replies Latest reply on Apr 26, 2010 5:52 AM by OliverB

How do I create a new automatic action?

Apprentice

Hi,

I would like to set up a new automatic action that is able to update the Change.Description attribute. How would I go about doing this?

Many thanks,

Oliver

• 1. Re: How do I create a new automatic action?
          dmshimself ITSMMVPGroup

That sounds interesting.  I'd start by create a new action directly in the business objects tab of process designer and set the allow association with window property to be true.  Then create a new change window to have the description field on it.  You'll have to put the title onthat window as it's database mandatory, but set the display on window property to be false.  Set up a windows rule to make sure this window pops when you use the action you created.  Add your action into the process at the right point.  I've not tried the above, but I feel it's going to be pretty close.

• 2. Re: How do I create a new automatic action?
            Apprentice

Hi Dave,

Thanks for your help. I think I can see what you're getting at. This would still be a manual action though wouldn't it? Or am I missing something? Tbh I think I could live with that.

Perhaps I should explain my idea a little more. What I want to do is have a 'New User Form' action that the end user can select in Portal. This would bring up the window for that object with various fields for them to fill out. There should then be an action (automatic preferably) that would update the Change.Description attribute by pulling the fields from the New User Form object.

I think that this should all be possible?

This is all part of trying to change the current paper forms we have for different change processes into electronic versions that will update servicedesk.

Oliver

• 3. Re: How do I create a new automatic action?
              aparker Employee

Oliver,

How are you allowing the end user to access this form? Is it part of another process, or is it a process in its own right? This make a difference as to the ways in which you can achieve what I think you're trying to do?

Andy

• 4. Re: How do I create a new automatic action?
                Apprentice

Hi Andy,

It will be part of the normal change process. The user will fill in the initial window with their name and details (all other mandatory fields will be filled in as 'tba' by a template). They will then have some actions made available to them; New User, New Hardware, New Software, etc. which will lead to different windows (that will display as forms).

Regards,

Oliver

• 5. Re: How do I create a new automatic action?
                  dmshimself ITSMMVPGroup

We were OK up until the point where I think you want to extract the details from the forms the end user has filled in and sumamrise those into the change.  That would be tricky and I'm not sure why you'd need to do it as the analyst would be able to see the forms the end user has filled in.  But it maybe you just want to sumamrise the change required.  So if that is the case, you could write a calculation for an attribute on the change which holds a summary of these attributes on your collections.  That option depends on the version of LDSD you are using and how good your BOO skills are!

• 6. Re: How do I create a new automatic action?
                    Apprentice

Hi Dave,

Couldn't I use the action to update the change.description with the placeholder {ChangeManagement.NewUserForm.<Attribute>} to pull the info from the form into the change description?

Oliver

• 7. Re: How do I create a new automatic action?
                      dmshimself ITSMMVPGroup

Why not give it a try and see?  All good practise.  I got the impression you wanted to collect several of these attributes together into the description rather than just one.  If that is the case a calculation is better (IMHO) as you can collect things up, format them and so on.  If you only have the one field to update then a value type on the windowless automatic action on your change process might well be enough.

But as with other things in LDSD there may be several ways to ahcieve the same result and you need to experiment to see which works best.  Sorry to be vague, but I'd say get out your dev system, roll up your sleeves and try things out.  You could log a support call if you wanted a more formal answer from that gallant team.

• 8. Re: How do I create a new automatic action?
                        Apprentice

Yes, I do want to have several of these in the description. I have no idea how to do calculations though. Is there any documentation on it?

Oliver

• 9. Re: How do I create a new automatic action?
                          dmshimself ITSMMVPGroup

The manuals have quite a lot on calcualtions with some worked examples,  also check out this very community forum in the calcualtion section as Stu has put up evem more examples.  I believe that the official line from LANDesk support is that they support the concept of calclaltions, but actually writing one falls outside of regualr support.  But there are some exmaples of ones other people have written up on the forum which might get you started.

• 10. Re: How do I create a new automatic action?
                            Apprentice

Which manuals should I be looking in? I have been using LDSDDesigner and LDSDAdministrator guides but haven't seen anything in there.

• 11. Re: How do I create a new automatic action?
                              Apprentice

Chapter 7 in the LDSD Designer manual.

Note:- Calculations only came in with v7.3. If you're using an older version they won't be in there.

Kind regards,

Stephen

• 12. Re: How do I create a new automatic action?
                                Apprentice

That would explain it. We are on 7.2.6. I only have 5 chapters in my designer guide.