5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 22, 2010 3:01 PM by Thomas_Polycom

Assigned DNS names for UNC Path using LANDesk OS Deployment

irizarisan Apprentice

My Friends,

I would like to ask if anybody had tried using the DNS names when assigning the UNC Path where the LANdesk capture images for OS Deployment??

Currently, we are using the exact name of the server on the UNC Path and it works fine however we are looking forward of possibilities of migrating the images to a much bigger storage.

Any comments and recommendations are much appreciated.

• 1. Re: Assigned DNS names for UNC Path using LANDesk OS Deployment
          Rookie

If you're using any kind of authentication against these shares, there's a good chance it may not work. NTLM would consider it an attack (because you're trying to reach one host but redirecting to another).

You could however, setup some kind of DFS that would automatically send clients to a preferred location.

Feel your pain, there is no option for preferred server built into OSD; we end up with duplicate scripts all over the place.

If you find a solution, post it

• 2. Re: Assigned DNS names for UNC Path using LANDesk OS Deployment
            irizarisan Apprentice

hi Thomas,

Thanks a lot for the feedback.. Anyway, we will have it test then to verify if it works. Our current setup as of below:

Landesk OS Deployment Script

UNC Path: \\Servername\OSD\

if possible, we would like to have it setup like

UNC Path: \\DomainDFS\OSD\

Anyway, we just want to have the script standard and dynamic.. Hopefully somebody already tested on this and confirm its working. 

• 3. Re: Assigned DNS names for UNC Path using LANDesk OS Deployment
              irizarisan Apprentice

Also, in addition to current setup. it authenticate using our login account in the domain computer.

• 4. Re: Assigned DNS names for UNC Path using LANDesk OS Deployment
                Apprentice

What I ended up doing was using vbscript. I have multiple imaging servers and only one imaging script for all of them. Since I'm going to be regularly changing the imaging servers I just hardcoded them into the vbscript. It first determines the ip of the computer and from there it matches the IP address to the imaging server. I didn't want to mess around with DNS settings so I just copy down a local Host file to computer with the IP address of the imaging server mapped to something like "ImageServer". So then on machine you're imaging if you do a ping to ImageServer it will resolve to the local IP address of the imaging server.

Then the OSD script will recognize ImageServer after the vbscript is ran. The last thing you might need to do is disable strict name checking directly on each of the imaging servers. Thats just an overview of what I did to get it working and if you need more details I can go into it further.

Hope this helps.

• 5. Re: Assigned DNS names for UNC Path using LANDesk OS Deployment
                  Rookie

That's pretty slick Serism, I've love to get more details on the setup; if you have a copy of the scripts you used (minus your organization specific details), I think we'll can use them to do the same

Tom