1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply on Apr 29, 2010 7:20 AM by inevitable01

LDMS 8.8 Cleaning inventory (devices)

Rookie

Hi Good Morning,

Im having a hard time figuring out on what to do.

I need to clean the inventory, that all inactive client that has not been connected in the network for more 2 months should be deleted in Landesk.

How do i know if the unit is active within 2 months? does landesk have the capability to check if unit is active? or there is a time stamp that when a client connects to the network landesk will register that the unit is active?

Thanks,

Joe

• 1. Re: LDMS 8.8 Cleaning inventory (devices)
          Frank Wils ITSMMVPGroup

Hi Joe,

The Software License Monitoring is not really the best place to put this question. Inventory would be more appropriate.

But, to answer your question,

If u have a configured LANDesk agent it will periodiacally contact the server to send its scanfiles. This is how LANDesk sees it active. In the Configure Services on  the Core Server, in the Inventory tab, there is an option 'Days to keep inventory scans'. This tells LANDesk after how many days an inactive device will be deleted from the database.

Hope this helps!

Frank

Axle-IT

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: LDMS 8.8 Cleaning inventory (devices)
            phoffmann SupportEmployee

*Thread moved to Inventory, as Frank pointed out* .

To expand on Frank's fine comment.

The "days to keep inventory scans" should be used CAREFULLY. I recommend beginning with no less than a value of "90" (as it's surprisingly simple to get a device not to send inventory in for 90 days ... several weeks on the road, then holiday, then out on repair ... voila).

Before you do this, you may also want to make sure you've got a full DB backup (this way you won't have any too bad "oh ... darn" moments once DB maintenance has run, and you find that there's a load of devices' information that you would've needed on the next day).

- Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead

• 3. Re: LDMS 8.8 Cleaning inventory (devices)
              Rookie

Hi Good Morning,

Are you refering to this?

Agent Configuration.bmp

Scheduled Inventory Scan.bmp

Devices.bmp

Is my setting wrong? Im wondering why device G71828-TAC-BD and so on, was not updated "Last Updated by Inventory Server"? but unit was active..

• 4. Re: LDMS 8.8 Cleaning inventory (devices)

No - that's where you configure the client on how/when he is to send inventory.

What Frank and I were talking about is the "days to keep inventory scans" setting. Here's how you get to it.

(Let me know if these instructions aren't enough, I'll try to get a screenshot going then...)

1 - Open the 32-bit console on the Core (it *MUST* be the Core itself).

2 - On the top tool-bar, click on CONFIGURE => SERVICES...

3 - In the new window, click on the INVENTORY-tab.

4 - Roughly in the middle of the section, you see an option for "Days to keep inventory scans".

This is what configures the # of days that a Core will wait before deleting devices. "0" means this setting is disabled (i.e. - keep inventory scans forever). For a non-0 value, we check each night (when we run maintenance) for devices needing to be deleted.

... and here's the screenshot - should hopefully clarify things

CfgSvcs_Days2KeepInv.jpg

- Paul Hoffmann

• 5. Re: LDMS 8.8 Cleaning inventory (devices)
                  Frank Wils ITSMMVPGroup

And in regards to the scan-dates in your screenshot...

Can you verify that the clients actually do scan? What happens when you run an inventory scan forced from the Console (right-click on the device) or kick one off from the workstation itself?

Frank

Axle-IT

• 6. Re: LDMS 8.8 Cleaning inventory (devices)
                    Rookie

Hi Good Morning,

Paul, the Days to keep inventory scans is 0, actually I have the same configuration that appears on the image that you have attach.

Does this mean that it will keep the inventory scan? and for example if I set it to 90 days, devices that have not send an inventory scan within 90 days will be automatically deleted in all devices?

Devices.bmp

And if my Statement above is correct, G71828-TAC-BD will be deleted from the list? even though device is active?

Thanks Guys,

I really appreciate your help.

• 7. Re: LDMS 8.8 Cleaning inventory (devices)
                      Rookie

Hi Good Morning,

I found out something interesting.

here is the set up,

G71828-TAC-BD is an HP unit with MAC address 00187169D11D, this unit was replace by an IBM unit G71828-TAC-BD with MAC address 00241D6E37E7.

I tried to remote the 1st one which is HP, and I was able to remote it, then I tried the 3rd item which is Lenovo, and it says "This Machine already has a session with the remote computer".

Then I tried disconecting my remote on the HP and tried remote on the lenovo. and I found out that I was actually accessing the same unit.

Is it possible that even though there are two different MAC address it just points out on one unit, and only relies on the Device Name?

duplicate.bmp

"If we replace an old Desktop we still use the same hostname on the new one"/

Thanks,

Joe

• 8. Re: LDMS 8.8 Cleaning inventory (devices)

It certainly is possible to have a setup like this - I know of a few shops that work that way.

It has its advantages and drawbacks - like most things, really.

An important part of LANDesk to know / get right is how the console talks to clients.

NOTE -- This is a setting unique to each console, NOT a global setting!

So check out (in the/any 32-bit Console you use).

=> CONIFUGRE => AGENT STATUS OPTIONS (also known as "Agent Discovery" in older versions).

Now you'll notice that at the bottom of the window you have 2 ticked checkboxes and they are by default in this order:

- IP Address

- Domain Name Services (DNS)

What's this about?

IP Address ==> this means we go look into the database for this device, and use the IP-address found there. Given the nature of DHCP, this could cause devices to go out of date.

- DNS means that rather than using the IP for this device we have in the DB, we resolve the hostname in DNS. Assuming your DNS is healthy and up to the job, this is usually the preferred method.

So you may find that you've got a bit more desired results if you change the settings over and move DNS to be the top / preferred method of detecting/communicating with clients .

- Paul Hoffmann

• 9. Re: LDMS 8.8 Cleaning inventory (devices)

Oh and - as an addendum - the key date/factor that we key off for whether we delete a device or not, is "Last Hardware Scan Date".

So you would need to make sure that your devices do send inventory at least 1x every 2-3 months ideally .

EDIT/UPDATE: (May 23rd, 2011)

In 9.0 we use the value "Last Updated By Inventory Service" -- i.e. the LASTUPDINVSVR-column in the COMPUTER table to determine whether a device is out of date or not. Just to clarify things, since it looks as my comment above about the "Last hardware Scan Date" was somewhat dated .

- Paul Hoffmann

• 10. Re: LDMS 8.8 Cleaning inventory (devices)
                            Rookie

Hi Good Morning,

Checking on "Agent Discovery Options" only DNS has a tick.

I tried to check an Item, G76350 -TAG-BD which has "Last Hardware Scan Date of 9/30/2009", this item will be deleted even though it is active and

"last Update Scan Date and Last Updated by Inventory Server is 4/27/2010"

Note: G76350-TAG-BD dont have a duplicate item.

HardwareScanDate.bmp

What if I tried to delete all devices in console? will all active devices that has Landesk intalled on them populate the console?

Thanks,

Joe

• 11. Re: LDMS 8.8 Cleaning inventory (devices)
                              Frank Wils ITSMMVPGroup

Joe,

According to your agent-settings, your devices should send a hardware inventory at least 1 time per day and at every logon. So, if that device is active, that means it can't send its scans to the server.

Can you verify that nothing is blocking the inventory scans and that the service is running on the server?

Like now, if you delete all devices, they wont return because they dont even send in scans right now.

Frank

Axle-IT

• 12. Re: LDMS 8.8 Cleaning inventory (devices)
                                Rookie

Hi Good Morning Frank,

All services of landesk is running and set to automatic, 

This is weird, if something is blocking the update, all unit should be afected. My unit has "Last Hardware Scan Date is 4/28/2010"

Thanks,

Joe

• 13. Re: LDMS 8.8 Cleaning inventory (devices)
                                  Rookie

Frank,

In Addition

While looking on the last screen shot i posted,

G76350-TAG-BD has Last Hardware Scan date ot 9/30/2009 while Last Update Scan Date is 4/29/2010.

Thanks,

Joe

IT

Coca-Cola Bottlers Philippines

• 14. Re: LDMS 8.8 Cleaning inventory (devices)

The "Last Update Scan Date" has nothing to do with Inventory. That's when the client-side patch vulnerability scanner (VULSCAN) last prodded the Core to check whether there was a newer version for VULSCAN.EXE available.

You still very much have the problem that your clients either aren't sending inventory, or that the Core is rejecting the scans.

Check your Core's NT Application Event Log for any Error 4100's from the Inventory Scannerin particuarl, that should indicate whether there's anything in the scans that's too big to be processed.

Client-side, you can check the LOCALSCH.LOG (Local Scheduler Log) to see whether the Inventory Scans were launched (if there's no entries there for LDISCN32, it's possible someone deleted the relevant task unintentionally, for instance). Equally, client-side the LDISCN32.LOG will indicate any activity by the inventory scanner.

Both log-files will be in "C:\Program Files\LANDesk\LDClient\".

- Paul Hoffmann

1 2 Previous Next