5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 16, 2013 7:04 AM by morenpe

Network Card disconnected after LDClient installed

jcmachadouga Apprentice

I have been experiencing this weird behavior...

Workstations with HIPS+ AV installed lose network connectivity some times. Servers with just the LD client installed + AV (No HIPS) are experiencing the same problem. It doesn't happen all the time. 12 times in the last month in a 100 clients group.

What happens is Windows reports the network cord got unplugged. There are 2 ways to fix the problem: Disable/Enable the NIC or physically unplu/plug the netwotk cord...

Anybody else experiencing this issue?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Network Card disconnected after LDClient installed
          phoffmann SupportEmployee

... you're sure this isn't just symptomatic?

I.e. - if you uninstall LDMS from those clients those problems go away ?

AV doesn't hook into the network driver at all, and the rest of LANDesk doesn't have any reason to either (beyond the usual "send X information across the network / listen for Y information) ... we don't interface with network cards specifically.

Is it possible the network card driver is having hiccups, and something in the LDMS agentry is just aggravating it? You could try upgrading the driver / firmware for the NIC's, and find the problem's sorted?

- Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead

• 2. Re: Network Card disconnected after LDClient installed
            jcmachadouga Apprentice

After uninstalling LDMS from thomse clients the problem goes away...

Drivers and firware for the NICs are up to date...

I know, this is a weird problem... I posted it in case somebody else is having the same problem...

• 3. Re: Network Card disconnected after LDClient installed
              DANDesk Rookie

Did you resolve this issue? With our clean 9 SP2 install we fought network drop issues (laptops quit pinging when trying to install agent) with our laptops.

We are running McAfee HIPS and for some reason we needed to add an exclusion to our new core IP - even though we were on trusted internal network that McAfee HIPS was supposed to leave alone. Machine had perfect network connection before touched by LANDesk. It's like agent install turns something on in HIPS, but on random cases.

• 4. Re: Network Card disconnected after LDClient installed
                phoffmann SupportEmployee

Interesting that McAffee HIPS could be a key factor.

As best as I know, they don't OEM any of our stuff (which tends to be the usual reason this sort of stuff happens - 2 apps using the same registry keys, etc.) ... it'd be interesting to see if that is indeed the case (i.e. McAffee Hips used by all those here affected).

If this is the case, it would probably be best to then log cases by those involved with BOTH McAffee and us (since I don't know how McAffee's support works, I can only give limited advice there), and keep communication going either here or elsewhere, pointing out that "this has been logged with McAffee as case # X as well. Furthermore, as per this thread (link), these other customers seem to be affected too with these LANDesk support case #-s (# 1, # 2, # 3, etc.)).

Or something to that effect. We could then (at least on LD-side) identify the person who'd own the technical side of things and enter into a conversation with McAffee with a bit of luck, to find out who breaks whom and what (and how), and what can be done to fix it.

Not aware otherwise (or in general) about problems with McAffee so far.

- Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead

• 5. Re: Network Card disconnected after LDClient installed
                  Apprentice

Hi there,

I'm just experiencing the same issue after installing LDMS 9.5 (no SP1). Network card connects and disconnects ramdomly in some (not all) WXP computers. We have not seen a specific pattern in the hardware or software configuration for these few computers. Any boy seem someting similar in LDMS 9.5

Thanks for reading it.