7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 27, 2010 9:24 AM by jmac

Software Install Template

Rookie

Guys,

A little help needed -

I was trying to install Internet Explorer 8 accross our organisation - We have found that a KB needs to be applied before IE8 is installed.

I decided that the best way would be to do a template (after sucessfull single deployments) so that It will install the KB, Reboot then install IE8..

I created the template with Install KB, then install then install IE8. It would install the KB (and reboot as a reqirement of the updates)   computer logs back in it does not continue the task and I cannot work out why.

All I want to do is install 2 applications that both require reboots (via the Deployment script) not within the provisioning agent.

My guess is the template does not expect a reboot so when It does reboot it dies.. The template does not appear to fail though.. It just says "Might Reboot".. How can I check if the template is waiting for the PC to boot back up?

Help!

• 1. Re: Software Install Template
          Expert

You might have better luck with a Custom Vulnerability/Definition. Put in the detection for IE8 that the KB must exist.

• 2. Re: Software Install Template
            Rookie

Thanks for he quick reply - However we do not have the Security and Patch Manager licence so can only patch LANDesk products!!

• 3. Re: Software Install Template
              Expert

You can still creat Custom Definitions even without the license. It works exactly the same but you manually create it.

• 4. Re: Software Install Template
                Rookie

I still find it mighty strange that the template does not continue when the PC is rebooted, there must be some way to do this withough writing it into the script..

While playing about with the template I tried to get it to install the KB without a reboot and then get the Template to reboot, this resulted in a FAILED package, however when I unticked the "Do not continue if the package fails" it did not continue.

I have had a "Breif" look at the Custom Definitions within landesk and it does not look like a 5 min job.. Its not somthing we use everyday thank god!

Any other suggestions, I think we may just go down the staged approach and do it via manual deployments, still a pain if you ask me!!

• 5. Re: Software Install Template
                  Expert

CD's are not that hard to create after you play with them for a little while. Its actually pretty easy once you get the hang of it.

As an alternative, you could use the same idea to deploy the patch and IE8 as 2 software distribution packages, one with a dependency on the other. Alternatively, you could use a query based on the patch being installed to populate the IE8 scheduled task.

As for why the template fails to continue after a reboot, I'm not really sure, but if I recall, I ran into something similar when I played with them a number of months back.

What version of LDMS are you using?

• 6. Re: Software Install Template
                    Rookie

Well I had a go at doing my own custom definition - Not to bad at all but still quite manual.

I am currently using version 8.8

I've been looking into the options on deploying the custom definition to the pc's accross our network, is there any possibilitys within patch manager to do as the provisioning template does and "Install on next logon distribution" or is it just how its configured in the autofix section, or another timed manual deployment?

• 7. Re: Software Install Template
                      Expert

I've tried these steps and it worked well. Just skip the steps that don't apply which is around 1/2 way. (Create the "InstallPatch" Scan and Repair setting)

http://community.landesk.com/support/docs/DOC-7566

I don't use Autofix. I like the illusion that I have a little control over how/when patches are deployed.

Basically, the process is that vulscan will run, detect what is missing and then install it. This is based on the Agent configuration/Security and Complience schedule.

Here is what I do.

1. Right click on the Custom Vulnerability (CV), select repair and then select Repair as a Policy and then selec Add query.
                      2. Delete the scheduled task that was just created. The query is now left behind.
                      3. Right click on the CV, select repair, Repair as a Scheduled Task and then at the bottom, select the InstallPatch scan and repair setting.
                      4. Link query previously created to the new scheduled task.

Now, as machines run a S&C scan, they will auto-populate the scheduled task and vulscan will run the CV to install your patch. It will then run again and install the IE8 CV.

Sounds like more work and maybe it is, but once you've done it a few times, it gets routine so its pretty quick. The benefit I notice in this is the speed in which the CV's get installed; even more so when you group them so that you can deploy several all at once.