2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 8, 2010 3:45 PM by JaysonDayman

Windows 7 Image, AHCI, SATA, IRRT - LDMS 9

We are experiencing a couple of problems in the way imaging is handled with Windows 7 using LDMS 9.

From what I understand we capture the image in audit mode, and then through deployment, the mini-setup (oobe) is run.

the two issues most pressing are:

The specialize tag doesn't allow for copying the default user profile over, as it is created by the OSD task, we have to edit xml manually to include the copy profile tag.  Is anyone out there doing this strictly by GPO, and I'm just being stubborn and stuck in my old ways?

The second issue, and more troubling for me, is that we can't find a happy way to capture the image where it will "float" between AHCI, IRRT, SATA modes.  Our XP image did not have this issue, and I believe it's because the image was captured already having run sysprep.  Does anybody have a solution for that?

• 1. Re: Windows 7 Image, AHCI, SATA, IRRT - LDMS 9

2.) http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976

solution is here :

To resolve this issue, enable the AHCI driver in the registry before you change the SATA mode of the boot drive. To do this, follow these steps:

1. Exit all Windows-based programs.
          2. Click Start, type regedit in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.
          3. If you receive the User Account Control dialog box, click Continue.
          4. Locate and then click one of the following registry subkeys:

5. In the right pane, right-click Start in the Name column, and then click Modify.
          6. In the Value data box, type 0, and then click OK.
          7. On the File menu, click Exit to close Registry Editor.
          • 2. Re: Windows 7 Image, AHCI, SATA, IRRT - LDMS 9

I think I might be struggling with the same problem that Travis is facing.

We've built a Windows 7 image on a VMWare virtual machine. The reference computer was configured while in Audit mode and then we sysprepped it with "SYSPREP /audit /shutdown". Next we PXE booted and the hard drive image was captured using LANDesk ImageW.

We have followed the guidance in Jan Buelens'  "HII Toolkit v 9.1" and have successfully deployed this image to a couple of different Lenovo computer models, including some with SATA controllers. We copy the PNP drivers while in the PXE environment based on model number, and we also use InjectMSD to copy in the Mass Storage drivers and set the necessary Registry Keys.

Here's the problem. I have a bunch of Lenovo ThinkPad SL510's that can't seem to use this Windows 7 image. The SL510 always Bluescreens and gives a 0x0000007B error on first boot. After the blue screen the SL510 just reboots continuously, landing on the boot menu "Select Safe Mode, Last Known Good Configuration,...", etc.) I have even tried going into BIOS and setting the controller to Compatibility mode but still can't use this Windows 7 image. I've checked the MS KB article referenced in this thread and the Start value in the msahci key is already set to "0" so I know that can't be the problem.

Any suggestions on how to get past this? Am I using the wrong SYSPREP command on our reference computer? Anybody else using VM's to build Windows 7 images? Is there a problem doing that maybe?