5 Replies Latest reply on May 12, 2010 10:38 AM by kgsiggins

I would like to create a process based on an object that I created.

kgsiggins Rookie

The LDSDDesigner documentation seems to be saying that I can do this but I haven't been able to see hoe it is done. I can create processes under the default

process groups such as incident but when I do that the incident window appears. Is there any way to not have the incident window appear or is therer a way to create my own process group?

I have seen references to Process Manager, would I have to purchase that to do what I am trying to do?

Ken 

• 1. Re: I would like to create a process based on an object that I created.
          aparker Employee

Hi Ken,

The architecture of the product is such that for each process domain (Incident, Problem, Change etc) there is a main process object that all processes are based on. If you want to build a process that has different fields and different windows, you can add extra attributes into the main process object through Object Designer and you can also build new windows that reflect the data set you want to work with. The trick is to use the Window Rules to associated the new window you have created with the process that you have built. Once that has been done, anyone who opens the process will always see the correct window and not the default one. All of this functionality is documented in the Designers manual.

Andy

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: I would like to create a process based on an object that I created.
            kgsiggins Rookie

Hi Andy,

I have read through the LDSDDesigner documentation over and over and still couldn't put it together. Your comments were very helpful, but I still can't seem to get it right. Even though I set up the Window rule for the process I created the default incident window still comes up instead of my window. I'll keep trying but would appreciate any further tips.

Ken

• 3. Re: I would like to create a process based on an object that I created.
              aparker Employee

Hi Ken,

Here's a step by step that might help...

1. Add all the additional attributes you want to the main process object that you have decuded to use. (Eg. Incident, Problem or Change)
              2. Create a process that will be used with these new attributes.
              3. In Window Manager, go to the Object and create a new window under that object. There will already be at least one existing window for that object.
              4. Still in Window Manager, go to the Views folder and select the 'Default View' and click the Modify View button.
              5. In the Available Business Objects tree, select Incident Management - Incident and move it into the Selected Businsess Objects list.
              6. Highlight it and then click on 'Insert Window Rule' in the Actions list.
              7. When the 'Window Rule Maintenance' window pops up, you only need to select the new process and the new window that you have created and click on 'OK'
              8. Create a new component for that process on your shortcuts. When you click on it, you should see your new window displayed.

That's the main steps, now you might, and I stress might, have to do an iisreset to ensure the new rule is invoked, but I don't usually find that it is needed.

Andy

• 4. Re: I would like to create a process based on an object that I created.
                Lara Hellman SupportEmployee

Alternatively, you can create a whole new module using the Module Cloning Tool.  This is a chargeable activity though.

Lara

• 5. Re: I would like to create a process based on an object that I created.
                  kgsiggins Rookie

Thank you both for your advice.

Ken