5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 19, 2008 3:25 PM by LAW

Setting up a query to search for a registry key

Rookie

Hello All,

I would like to setup a query to search for a certain registry key on my systems on the network. What's the best way to do this?

• 1. Re: Setting up a query to search for a registry key
          Rookie

Hi Tony,

First and formost - you have to scan for the registry key. Chances are you are not already.

Take a look a 'How to scan custom registry information' to start. Once you are collecting the information, you can query for it in the Console.

You can find the artilce here: http://community.landesk.com/support/docs/DOC-1089

Sean McClure

[email protected]

Certified LANDesk Engineer

LANDesk Software, an Avocent Company

Disclaimer: The opinions expressed in articles, linked materials, and comments are not necessarily those of LANDesk Software.

• 2. Re: Setting up a query to search for a registry key
            phoffmann SupportEmployee

Just in case you prefer something with more screenshots, I'm attaching a (somewhat crude) "how to" that I scribbled up some time ago.

Please note: This is NOT an official white paper or anything other than a very to the point doc of how to do things, and is only provided in an "as is" state.

EDIT: (Jan 2nd 2008).

Due to some discrepancies in how different versions of Microsoft* Word* seem to display the document, please be aware that you MIGHT need to switch the doc into a LANDSCAPE layout. This is primarily needed for a single screenshot which shows the syntax needed in the LDAPPL3 for the example I'm walking through in the doc.

• 3. Re: Setting up a query to search for a registry key
              Rookie

Well, the screen shot you took that is included is of all the information needed, but it is cust off so unless you copy the graphic out and paste it into another program that will show the entire screen shot, you loose too much.

Here is the format you need though. I cheated and borrowed one that is already in the ' [Registry Info] ' section.

KEY=HKLM, SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters, SearchList, Custom Data - Network - DNSSearchOrder

• 4. Re: Setting up a query to search for a registry key
                phoffmann SupportEmployee

Added a minor disclaimer to my post with the document I've scribbled up, to deal with an issue with different versions of Microsoft* Office* displaying things somewhat inconsistently between different versions.

• 5. Re: Setting up a query to search for a registry key
                  Rookie

Occasionally I need to scan for a registry key, but I don't need/want the data in the inventory.  It's a one-time shot, or I intend to change the data once its found.  When this happens, I use a custom definition in Security and Patch Manager.

The process is this:

1.   Create a custom definition identifying your registry key as the criteria

2.  Create a custom group and assign your custom definition (or definitions) to it

3.  Create a new Scan and Repair config set which scans for only the group created in 2.

4.  Schedule a scan for that Scan and Repair set.

Wait a few minutes.  View results and act on them as needed.   An added benefit is if  you need to take some action on the affected machines, you can configure that as an autofix.