5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 31, 2008 5:13 AM by pettittsa

PXE Menu Never Appears - Hangs on Do Not Touch Screen

Rookie

Hello:

I am trying to deploy an image to an HP 5700 with a Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Network adapter.  I am using using Landesk 8.7 SP4 to do this.  A connection to the PXE representative does occur and an address is issued to the target machine.  The name of the core server is also resolved.  After this is accomplished the whole process hangs at the Do Not Touch screen.  It will not go any further and no Menu will pop up to choose the desired image.  I can choose New Console in the lower left hand corner to get a command prompt and ping successfully the PXE rep, core server etc....  What am I missing that the menu won't pop up?  Also, this is a hit or miss problem.  It works on some computer models and not others.  For example, I have no problem with an IBM 8189 with a Intel Pro 100 network adapter.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

• 1. Re: PXE Menu Never Appears - Hangs on Do Not Touch Screen
          Jared Barneck SupportEmployee

The file that is downloaded is located on your Core Server in this location:

http://coreserver/landesk/files/dosmenu.cfg

If you are unable to download that file, this would occur.  Make sure it has IUSR_SERVERNAME permissions.

Also in WinPE, you can open a command prompt and run "PxeMenuStart" and it will try to open the menu again.

• 2. Re: PXE Menu Never Appears - Hangs on Do Not Touch Screen
            Jared Barneck SupportEmployee

Also, in you WinPE image, there is an All.reg file in the i386\system32 directory.  It should have your Core Name in it.  Can you check and make sure it has your Core name in it?

This is used in the PxeMenuStart.cmd batch file.  The batch file is listed below.  See on line 7 it calls the %CoreServer% variable. If your All.reg were missing your Core Server name, it would never be able to work.

@ECHO OFF
            SET n=0
            :getmenu
            SET /A n=n+1
            IF %n% GTR 10 GOTO fail
            ldsleep 5
            sdclient /f /o /p="http://%CoreServer%/landesk/files/dosmenu.cfg"
            IF %ERRORLEVEL% LSS 0 GOTO getmenu
            GOTO runmenu

:fail
            echo "Failed to get menu.  Verify any network drivers, DHCP settings, and name resolution for %CoreServer%."
            pause
            goto end

:runmenu
            RunBatch 500 X:\LDClient PxeMenu dosmenu.cfg

:end

You can also run this line manually to see if it works.

RunBatch 500 X:\LDClient PxeMenu dosmenu.cfg

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: PXE Menu Never Appears - Hangs on Do Not Touch Screen
              Rookie

Thanks rhyous.  Very helpful.  Found the Pxestartmenu.cmd and all is fine.

• 4. Re: PXE Menu Never Appears - Hangs on Do Not Touch Screen
                Apprentice

I am begining to see this issue too.

Even though the All.reg file in the boot image has the coreserver name (in our case simply "LANDESK") it does not seem to be accessible when running the PxeMenuStart.cmd.  It appears that the %CoreServer% variable is not being set, but I don't know at what point this is supposed to happen.

When I run the PxeMenuStart.cmd file manually, eventually it comes back with ""Failed to get menu.  Verify any network drivers, DHCP settings, and name resolution for ." - i.e. the coreserver name is missing as (presumably) the variable isn't set.

Is anyone able to help?

Thanks in advance,

Stephen.

• 5. Re: PXE Menu Never Appears - Hangs on Do Not Touch Screen
                  Apprentice

I have just tested the theory by setting the CORESERVER variable manually.  Then the PxeMenuStart.cmd file runs without any problems.  I have trawled through the image but cannot find where/how the variable is supposed to be set.