9 Replies Latest reply on May 14, 2010 9:46 AM by artbell

OSD with HII not working for Dell Latitude e6500

Rookie

We're experimening using OSD with HII.  It works just fine when imaging our two main models of desktop using the same image. When I run the OSD task on these Dells, Win 7 is installed, the PC is named appropriately and joined to the domain and the LD agents install without an issue, but the drivers I connected with this model aren't installed.  The script log reads "Job Complete","1 Done","0 Failed","0 Off","0 Unknown".

I watched the correct drivers get downloaded to the machine after imaging.  I even changed the OSD task to specify the model/driver, watched them download again, but no luck.

I'd hate to keep another image, since the whole point of HII is to maintain a single (or a few images).

Any help is appreciated.

-JB

• 1. Re: OSD with HII not working for Dell Latitude e6500
          EMiranda Expert

you may find more info about your HII drivers in the the HIIclient.exe log file,

It is placed here when you do HII - PE directory x:\windows\system32 to see the hiiclient.exe log

you will need to remove the reboot command from your OSD script - REMEXEC44=ldrun reboot, timeout=2, so you can stay in WinPE after your OSD job is complete to view the log.

Check out that log and it may give you some more info on what is happening.

• 2. Re: OSD with HII not working for Dell Latitude e6500
            Employee

Jeramiah,

You are using OSD and not Provisioning for this, is that right?

After deployment you should find the drivers that were downloaded in the C:\Windows\LDDriverStore folder.  If you go into Device Manager and try to manually install the drivers after deployment can you point the devices to that location and have the drivers automatically install?  The gist of this question is: are we sure we have the correct drivers?

Let me know what you find out.

Thanks!

Edit:

Also, anything EMiranda says, definitely do it.  That guy knows what he's talking about. . .

• 3. Re: OSD with HII not working for Dell Latitude e6500
              Rookie

Hi guys,

I've taken your advice.  I prevented the reboot and looked throught the log. It looks like everything went fine.  I saved the log, but can't seem to find it at the moment.  I will post it when I find it.

Also, on the imaged notebook, there are folders under Windows\LDDriverStore for each of the drivers I specified. However, only one driver folder has files in it.  The rest of the folders have a Windows 7 folder under them that is empty.  Upon checking the HII driver inventory on the LD core server, the drivers show all of the necessary files (inf or otherwise) being listed under the driver.

• 5. Re: OSD with HII not working for Dell Latitude e6500
                EMiranda Expert

what driver folder DID copy and did the HIIClient.exe put all the folders down on the drive? like Audio\Dell e6500 - Sound\Windows7\

also, i believe HII from landesk is using the SDclient to copy the drivers, are you using preferred servers? if you are, do you have the drivers on the preffered servers exactly how they are on the core?

• 6. Re: OSD with HII not working for Dell Latitude e6500
                  Rookie

The sound driver is the only one that actually copied files

All of the folders were created under LDDriverstore as drivername\Windows7 with other folders (all empty) underneath.

I watched these files get downloaded during HIIclient and once the OS comes up the folders are empty.

Are there any character limitations on the driver names?

• 7. Re: OSD with HII not working for Dell Latitude e6500
                    EMiranda Expert

Couple of suggestions for troubleshooting:

1.  After you lay down the image and you see the drivers copy, don't boot up into windows. instead re-boot back into winpe or if you removed the reboot in the OSD script then stay in winpe and browse to the folder location via command prompt and see if the files are indeed there, should be D:\%windir%\LDDriverStore when you are in WinPE

2.  According to your log, Video driver would be the next item to have downloaded after the successful Sound copy.  Try removing the Video driver from the HII GUI on the console and try again and see if Video driver was the culprit that hung things up for the rest.

very intesting issue though!

• 8. Re: OSD with HII not working for Dell Latitude e6500
                      Rookie

Thanks.  I'll try those and post the results as soon as I can.

• 9. Re: OSD with HII not working for Dell Latitude e6500
                        Rookie

I removed the old video drivers, reimaged and the other drivers came down successfully via HII.  I downloaded the video driver driectly from Dell (instead of nVidia)and tried readding with a different name in the management console.  Now it downloads the files, but does not install the correct driver.  In device manager it shows as Standard VGA and when I attempt to update by pointing at the LDDriverStore folder (which shows the nvidia files) it says it is already using the most up to date drivers.

Are there any known issues with nvidia drivers and HII.  FYI, I notice there are some .cab files in the folder as well as the .inf.  Could that have anything to do with anything?

Thanks,