1 Reply Latest reply on May 17, 2010 8:56 AM by mrspike

"New Windows" agent vs "New Windows Server" agent

Rookie

Windows 2003 Server

LDMS 9.0

Question:

Can I run the "New windows" agent on a server instead of the "New Windows Server" agent?

What is the benefit/restrictions to running the "New Windows" agent on a server?

"New Windows" agent = Desktop agent.

"New Windows Server" Agent = Server Manager?

Can I run the "New windows" (desktop) agent on a server instead of the "New Windows Server" (server manger) agent?

• 1. Re: "New Windows" agent vs "New Windows Server" agent
          mrspike SSMMVPGroup

I looked and compared the two agents when I set up my LD9 cores, and it appears that the only differences are two settings.

The "server" agent has "real time inventory and monitoring" checked on the "Start" section of the configuration, this I have been told is in essence the "server manager" feature that was part of the old server manager client.

This is used for real time alerting, etc, of servers.  If you do not plan on using alerting, you may not need / want this.

The other difference is that the server agent does not have "Software usage" checked under "Standard LANDesk Agent" > Software usage monitoring.

This is "softmon", which tracks application usage, etc.  On a server you may not care about this as you would a desktop.

You can user either agent on desktops / servers, etc.  These are just configurations of the same agent.