3 Replies Latest reply on May 20, 2010 8:48 AM by phoffmann

Call a form from Managed Script?

Rookie

At my company, we backup the data from PCs everytime a teammate is terminated.  This process involves a managed script that creates a directory using the PC's assest tag, collecting all the files of specified types, and consolodating them in a single compressed file.  We need to have some information associtaed to each backup, which does not always get collected.

My question is:

Is it possbile to create a Custom Data Form and call it from inside a script, then have the data from that form be placed in the folder created by the backup script so that it can be burned to media at the same time the compressed file is burned?

• 1. Re: Call a form from Managed Script?
          phoffmann SupportEmployee

In theory ... "sort of".

Managed Scripts can call things - batch-files, AutoIT and so on - but they can't really be programmed to do anything themselves.

In theory you could code up a VB-script that generates the relevant form you want, and then have that be run via managed script (or regular software if you want) ...

I'm not entirely sure what exactly you're after by the term "custom data form" (I'm cautious as we have our own CDF's and I doubt you mean one of those?).

But in theory there's nothing speaking against you scripting your own batch/VB-script or whatever that in turn generates a file from a template.

- Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Call a form from Managed Script?
            Rookie

I actually was referring to the LANDesk custom data forms.  Is there a way that the LANDesk Management Console can be set to also set off a trigger to send a CDF to the target machine either at the beginning or the end of the job.

My intention is for this question revolves around a legal backup process that we use.  I would like to be able to have a form that pops up that records several key pieces of information and either places it in a text file in a location with the backup or at least takes the information from the form to have a record of it in LANDesk.

• 3. Re: Call a form from Managed Script?
              phoffmann SupportEmployee

Ahh - right.

Yes - that's easy enough - that's just a case of using REMCOPY to copy the relevant CDF over. I wouldn't use a script for that, though, to be honest - I'd prefer using a BAT or VB-based distribution package (and just add the CDF as an "additional file" that would then get moved to the right location).

Potentially rather than messing around with CDF's you *COULD* somewhat play around with hacking straight into the LDCUSTOM.DAT

Here's something useful things for you to look through potentially on doing "funky stuff" with custom data (/ forms):

- http://community.landesk.com/support/message/28932#28932

This includes a bit of a longer explanation of how the down & dirty functions, including the relevant files.

You could - potentially - get away without any CDF, and just slapping the relevant information straight into the LDCUSTOM.DAT file really.

Ultimately, the data from custom data forms just gets slapped into an inventory scan as "custom data" at the end.

Give it a try - create a custom data form, deploy it to a client and fill it out. Once you've filled it out, open up the LDCUSTOM.DAT in notepad ... the structure is pretty self-explanatory.

Except potentially for the "Data Entry Date" - that's done in CTIME.

But the rest is pretty simple . So you could - potentially - skip the custom data form all together, and just whack in the data you're after.

- Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical lead