1 2 3 Previous Next 62 Replies Latest reply on Jun 7, 2010 9:13 PM by Dataspike

Tmcsvc.exe crashing 8.8 sp4

jabramson Apprentice

It has only been about 4 occurrences since I upgraded from SP3 to SP4, but I would like to find out if anyone else has seen this happen on client machines. Also, is there a solution for this?

Microsoft Visual C++ runtime error popup box for LANDesk.

"Program: C:\Program Files\LANDesk\LDCLient\tmcsvc.exe

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.

Please contact the application's support team for more information."

Thank you,

-Jonathan

• 1. Re: Tmcsvc.exe crashing 8.8 sp4
          phoffmann SupportEmployee

Not seen this myself - do you have any idea what you were doing at the time?

The closes I've seen to this was TMC getting broken on the Core in one of the alpha fixes we did, but that's a binary "TMC doesn't work any more period" scenario. I've not heard of this at this point, so might be rather interesting to see if there's certain jobs (certain packages / sizes / client-numbers or even particular clients) that induce such patterns?

- Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead

• 2. Re: Tmcsvc.exe crashing 8.8 sp4
            jabramson Apprentice

These are PCs that the client was upgraded to SP4 and since then it has happened. I am still trying to research and find out if the people it happened to were doing anything particular at the time. In one case I reinstalled the SP3 version of 8.8 agent and it hasn't reoccurred but this was just yesterday.

-Jonathan

• 3. Re: Tmcsvc.exe crashing 8.8 sp4
              Expert

I also have seen this error and it is reported to LANDesk Support yesterday.

• 4. Re: Tmcsvc.exe crashing 8.8 sp4
                Apprentice

I called this in last week and no resolution yet.

• 5. Re: Tmcsvc.exe crashing 8.8 sp4
                  Apprentice

just happened to me too.  we upgraded to sp4 last night, upgraded consoles, then the first workstation that i apply the client patch to and run an inventory pops this error, why?  guess i'll have to do a support case.

• 6. Re: Tmcsvc.exe crashing 8.8 sp4
                    Rookie

Same issue here after SP4 when trying to push software

• 7. Re: Tmcsvc.exe crashing 8.8 sp4
                      riccafer Apprentice

We have the encountered the same problem! Wich version of "Visual C++ Redistributable" have you installed on clients with this problem?

• 8. Re: Tmcsvc.exe crashing 8.8 sp4

Rob wrote:

just happened to me too.  we upgraded to sp4 last night, upgraded consoles, then the first workstation that i apply the client patch to and run an inventory pops this error, why?  guess i'll have to do a support case.

Rob - Running *INVENTORY* crashes the TMC service? You sure about this?

I ask on account of inventory and TMC having nothing to do with each other.

Rather than saying "I have this issue" I'd be curious how often it arises / how duplicable it is in your environments. If you have some way of causing it to happen, we can at least enable debugging on "likely candidates" and/or blackbox the TMC-service to try and figure out what's happening to it for it to die.

Any sorts of observations on what you are/were doing when it went down (and where - on the Core? On the clients?) might be interesting... the key will be to try and find what sort of circumstances aggravate this to happen, so we have a chance to try to get in with the debugging .

- Paul Hoffmann

• 9. Re: Tmcsvc.exe crashing 8.8 sp4

As an addendum...

... could I ask that those of you who have logged this with the support folks at LANDesk, ask the relevant tech(s) to shoot me a quick mail about this?

This way at least I can try to keep everyone in the loop, and we don't have 1,000 different communication trails going on .

Most kind thanks.

- Paul Hoffmann

• 10. Re: Tmcsvc.exe crashing 8.8 sp4
                            jabramson Apprentice

I did open up a ticket on this and I am am working with Joseph Nunes on this. I managed to get a .dump file together from one and sent to him and he forwarded this to engineering. I have approximately 15,500 agents so far upgraded through the security and patch manager and so for I have reports of 7 PCs crashing from this. So it is so far not abundent but what makes it worse is one of those 7 was my VP. Whoops.

So far all those reported said it happened while not doing anything in particular.

In any case, I hope it is something that can be resolved rather quickly because 7 reported incidents probably means at least 70 unreported.

• 11. Re: Tmcsvc.exe crashing 8.8 sp4
                              Apprentice

Paul - so i'm not saying that *INVENTORY* is the direct cause of the error being shown, just adding my feedback here and the facts of what I was doing when I saw the error.  obviously other people are seeing this too so something is causing it and since i have never seen it before until going to sp4, something is happening here.  I have already opened a support case and  Joseph Nunes is assigned to it.  I have already added feedback that the error was not shown on the 2nd, 3rd and 4th client patch install so it is random and hard to duplicate and may end up being a workstation problem outside of LANDesk completely like corruption or unhealthy state on the pc.  the one pc I have seen it on did not show it again after a couple of reboots.  but again all i did was update our core, update remote consoles, install sp4 client patch to one pc, then ran a manual inventory and the error message popped but also went away after a couple of reboots.

I am probably going away from using the client patch and will just reinstall the agent to bring it current.  that has always worked well for me in the past but thought i would try just applying the client patch this time since it is the first method listed in the sp4 readme to update agents.

• 12. Re: Tmcsvc.exe crashing 8.8 sp4
                                Apprentice

I first saw it on a couple of PC's that had just gotten the SP4 update through Patch Manager.

I looked in the tmcsvc.log and saw some references to a scheduled task that I have running once per day to all PCs.

I turned off that task but have seen it again for other things (perhaps the daily security patch scan).

It happened right after SP4 was installed, I had never seen this error before that.

At this point there are still some PC's that haven't gotten SP4.  So perhaps the issue happens in a mixed SP3 / SP4 environment?

My case has been escalated to PSE.  Tyler Jacobson is the case owner.

• 13. Re: Tmcsvc.exe crashing 8.8 sp4
                                  riccafer Apprentice

I opened a case on LANDesk support and Franco Medici is the tech who is helping me.

• 14. Re: Tmcsvc.exe crashing 8.8 sp4
                                    SupportEmployee

Hello Everyone;

This is certainly an issue that we are aware of. It would be really helpful to get any dump files that you may have. Please let me know if the version of LANDesk you are running (I know the title says 8.8 SP4, but if you are not on 8.8 sp4 please indicate). Please also indicate what events where taking place, if any (e.g., any distribution tasks, client install, patch installs, etc.).

Thanks!

1 2 3 Previous Next