3 Replies Latest reply on May 24, 2010 2:32 AM by Stu McNeill

Query to prompt user

Rookie

I've searched all over but can't find the answer. How do I create a query that when it runs, it prompts the user for the criteria, and then uses that criteria to run the query? Thanks

• 1. Re: Query to prompt user
          Expert

Hi Akmil

When you're designing your query and  you specify your criteria by dragging the desired attribute into the criteria window, there should be a checkbox at the bottom of the critera screen to "prompt user to specify value". When the query is run, the value that they input is used as the criteria.

Louise

• 2. Re: Query to prompt user
            Rookie

Hmmm.... I wonder if this is a feature I don't have. I am not able to drag attributes into the criteria window. I can just point and click items on the window. I have I am accessing the web version of the console. When editing a query, it has 4 steps, (1) Search conditions, (2), Attributes to display, (3) Sort results by attribute, and (4) Run query. In the search conditions, I must select a attribute from the list and then enter a value for that attribute. If I don't do that, when I click ok, it complains that I have to enter a value. But I want it to prompt the user for the value instead. I don't know if there is a special code that I can enter in the value field to force the query to prompt the user, like it's done in MS Access. Any ideas? Thanks for your help.

• 3. Re: Query to prompt user
              Stu McNeill Employee

Hi,

There are quite a few differences in query design between the Console application and Web Desk, this is one of them.  There are many enhancements to Web Desk queries coming in the next major release, version 7.4, due later in the year.  There may be something new to fit your need then.

Thanks