We built a utility using LANDesk package builder that prompts for entries like Computer Description, Lease or Purchase, etc..., then puts the data into the registry at HKLM\SOFTWARE\Intel\LANDesk\Inventory\Custom Fields. LANDesk then queries this info to use for inventory data. This is launched during the first boot of a machine into XP. However, I'd like it to run it in WinPE right after the tech chooses the LANDesk OSD reimage script.
I tested it and it launches and lets me enter the data, but the values are not copied to the registry. Also, when I run this utility multiple times within XP, it says, "This package has been previously installed. Heal it? Click 'yes' to heal (repair) the package, or click 'no' to reinstall the package." I don't get this prompt in WinPE.
My guess is I'm missing some kind of scripting support in WinPE. However, we made HalDetect work which uses scripting, (see below for the steps I followed).
1. On your core server, use WinImage to open the WinPE image file (in a default install,
this is C:\Program Files\LANDesk\ManagementSuite\landesk\vboot\ldvpe1.img)
2. Copy these 12 files from a Win2003 SP1 server’s system32 folder to WinPE’s
cscript.exe, jscript.dll, mlang.dll, scrobj.dll, scrrun.dll, stdole2.tlb, vbscript.dll,
wscript.exe, wshext.dll, wshom.ocx, odbc32.dll, odbcint.dll
3. Copy this file from a Win2003 SP1 server’s windows\inf folder to WinPE’s \i386\inf:
4. Create \i386\system32\oc.bat with the following content:
START "Installing Components" /MIN OC2.bat
5. Create \i386\system32\oc2.bat with the following content:
REM - INSTALL WSH COMPONENTS
regsvr32 %SystemRoot%\System32\jscript.dll /S
regsvr32 %SystemRoot%\System32\scrobj.dll /S
regsvr32 %SystemRoot%\System32\scrrun.dll /S
regsvr32 %SystemRoot%\System32\vbscript.dll /S
regsvr32 %SystemRoot%\System32\wshext.dll /S
regsvr32 %SystemRoot%\System32\wshom.ocx /S
regsvr32 %SystemRoot%\System32\mlang.dll /S
REM - INSTALL FILE ASSOCIATIONS FOR WSH
%SystemRoot%\System32\rundll32.exe setupapi,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 132 WSH.inf
6. Insert the following line in \i386\system32\startnet.cmd: (where? Not critical –
suggest after “factory –winpe”)
7. Save the ldvpe1.img image.
8. Redeploy your PXE representatives.
Guess I'm not sure what all is needed to ensure a package from LANDesk package builder will run. Any ideas?