3 Replies Latest reply on May 21, 2010 7:04 AM by phoffmann

Install package as logged on user, at logon, BUT...

Apprentice

HI again,

Was given an unusual requirement yesterday and I'm sure it can be done somehow, but I can't think how.

We need to install a software package, as the logged on user, at logon time BUT prevent them from doing anything else until the package in installed. It's the last bit thats got me beaten at the moment, how can I stop the logon process completing and presenting the user a desktop while the software installs in the background?

Thinking about it while I write this, I might be trying to solve the wrong problem. Another approach might be to install the package out of hours, but it HAS to install as the user, in their profile etc - is that possible?

Cheers - Paul

• 1. Re: Install package as logged on user, at logon, BUT...
          phoffmann SupportEmployee

You can cheat here, is what you can do .

We've used to pull a similar stunt "in the old days" to get Internet Explorer updates out before we had more sophisticated ways to do it .

Here's the write-up in another thread:

- http://community.landesk.com/support/message/13077#13077

The "gotcha" of course is as follows:

- Users can still press the power button ... (no way to avoid that one)

- Users need to know that the box will reboot a few times ... making the package "pretty" by letting them know when "all is well again" would be good.

... installing stuff in many users' contexts is a bit of a pain, particularly if you hope to lock them out of doing anything overly silly whilst doing that... the above is a starting point at least, I hope.

- Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead

• 2. Re: Install package as logged on user, at logon, BUT...
            Apprentice

Paul,

Thanks for the reply, but I don't think it solves my problem as the package must be installed as the user who is logging on, not as local admin.

As this was just mentioned in passing at a demo I did yesterday, I'm hoping this does not become a genuine requirement.

Cheers - Paul

• 3. Re: Install package as logged on user, at logon, BUT...
              phoffmann SupportEmployee

I would hope so too.

The info's was more on a "how to do it" - there's "fancy" stuff like setting up a database of usernames + passwords, and using a clever script to pick the relevant username + password to auto-login onto a particular device - problem with that is that it'd involve resetting the password of World + dog (unless you happen to keep track of everyone's passwords, which I rather doubt).

All in all, I would hope that the software in question does have a better method for being deployed than relying on a user not trying to kill off the install .

- Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead