5 Replies Latest reply on May 23, 2010 4:32 AM by dmshimself

Service Desk load balancing question

Rookie

Hi,

We have 7.2.6 installed and running on two network load balanced servers. We see a lot of duplicate incidents being raised when people email our inbox. My question is, could this be because, technically the touchpaper services are running twice and an incident is created by both servers if they poll the inbox at a similar time? I also see a lot of errors in the event viewer like:

The User Session Cleanup task failed with the following error message: Attempt to delete a data object of Class Type UserSession that has already been deleted. A data object that has been deleted cannot be modified.

again, could this be because the other server has already deleted the session in question?

Servers in question are running Standard Server 2008 64 bit

Thanks

Ian

• 1. Re: Service Desk load balancing question
          SupportEmployee

Hi Ian,

this is a bit odd.  Do you have the inbound service running on both servers?  Usually what happens is that the service polls through the inbox and processes any unread email and then sets it to read.  If you do have the inbound services running on both server then they might be polling at the exact same time and thus both seeing the unread email at the same time and processing it.  The user session cleanup task is processed by a service called "background service".  Check if you have this service installed on both servers as well.  You should only have one instance of any service running.  On one of the servers I would switch off the duplicate services and then test it.

hope this helps..

Qasam

• 2. Re: Service Desk load balancing question
            Rookie

Ok Services stopped on the second server and no errors (normally we would see at least one error every few minutes) as for the duplicate incidents time will tell as this can be anything from once a day to once in two weeks, however I'm giessing this will fix it.

The next problem this brings is that if the our failover plan will require manual intervention to start the services if the server with them running on falls over. Is this a way around this?

Thanks for your help.

Ian

• 3. Re: Service Desk load balancing question
              SupportEmployee

Hi Ian,

i wouldn't be the best person to answer that but I can understand what you want.  So ideally you would want some monitoring tool on server 2 that watches the services on server 1 and regularly "pings" it and as soon as it doesn't receive a reply back, the backup services kick off and notify the relevant people.  A google search gave some results so maybe something to try?

At least you know why the error messages where coming from...

Regards,

Qasam

• 4. Re: Service Desk load balancing question
                Rookie

That's ok, it's just something we need to communicate internally I think, the install was done by landesk staff and we were told it was ok to run like this but maybe there was just some miscommunication or understanding. It's not the end of the world.

Thanks for your help

Ian

• 5. Re: Service Desk load balancing question
                  ITSMMVPGroup

The standard tech spec goes to some lengths to indicate that services like inbound email, background etc should not be run on more than one box at the same time, but a warm standy machine would be fine.  If the main apps server fails, you boot up the spare or let the miracles of vmware do that for you :-)