13 Replies Latest reply on May 21, 2010 9:27 AM by EMiranda

HII in Landesk 9.0

Apprentice

Hi All

We have just upgraded from 8.8 to 9.  In 8.8 we were using the HII method as laid out by Jan Buelens in http://community.landesk.com/support/docs/DOC-2714.  I know that technically its not supported by LANDesk, but has anybody got it working in LANDesk 9??? It would be nice to get it up and running because our old images rely on the programs (such as copy rivers and ldprep) to build.  The problem we are having is that the OSD script seems to glance over the commands:

REMEXEC391=i:\tools\copydrivers.exe /c
      REMEXEC392=i:\tools\ldprep /path=c:\drivers

If i put a pause in the script and run the same commands from a new command window it runs absolutly fine!  I have tried all variations i can think of.  I have put the REMEXEC's to be double digits, i have moved the location of the commands up and down the script (after the image has deployed) and i have even tried creating a batch file and calling it from the script.  Nothing seems to fix it. We even had no luck with a LANDesk technician on site - "it should run"

I would use the HII built into LANDesk 9.0, but there seems no way to make the OS run setup applications (using a runonce) like Jans solution does, this again is integral to our current HII build.

I hope someone can help!

Dave H         

• 1. Re: HII in Landesk 9.0
          phoffmann SupportEmployee

Hmm - have you tried doing it as a "cmd /c" instead?

i.e.:

REMEXEC391=cmd /c i:\tools\copydrivers.exe /c
          REMEXEC392=cmd /c i:\tools\ldprep /path=c:\drivers

?

If it works from a dos-box, this should work too ... (though the normal "REMEXEC" ought to work as well) ... hope this helps out a bit .

- Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead

• 2. Re: HII in Landesk 9.0
            EMiranda Expert

I still use Jan's method with LANDesk 9.0 and works fine.  I personally added all the commands into an AutoIT script because I wanted a presentable GUI for users, but it does work.   can you post your OSD script? i'll see if i can help you out...

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: HII in Landesk 9.0
              Apprentice

Hi Paul

Unfortunatly that did not help, as before it just seems to skip the lines of code.

Thanks - if you have any other suggestions im more than happy to try them!

Dave H

• 4. Re: HII in Landesk 9.0
                Apprentice

Hi EMiranda,

I have attached the file (CurrentHIIDeplymentScript.txt) to this reply.

Thank you for your offer of help - it is much appreciated!

This GUI you have in place, what does that do in terms of operation?

Dave Hayes

• 5. Re: HII in Landesk 9.0

Humm - odd.

I don't see any reason why it shouldn't work ... but you can give Edward's idea a try. I don't see why an AutoIT package would work when the command-line doesn't, but as long as it DOES work, I think that'll be the more important part.

No idea what WinPE doesn't like about them ... maybe it just needs a wait or so beforehand?

- Paul Hoffmann

• 6. Re: HII in Landesk 9.0
                    EMiranda Expert

also, in the REMEXEC391,  i noticed in 9.0 it is pretty strict on the number sequence.  Before you used to be able to have it like this

REMEXEC02
                    REMEXEC03
                    REMEXEC01REMEXEC07 

and it would still pick up the commands, but in 9.0 they have to be in exact sequence, so try going into your OSD script and make sure they are numbered corrected

REMEXEC01
                    REMEXEC02
                    REMEXEC03
                    REMEXEC04

edit -

modify this

REMEXEC391=cmd /c i:\tools\copydrivers.exe /c 
                    REMEXEC392=cmd /c i:\tools\ldprep /path=c:\drivers 
                    REMEXEC40=ldrun reboot, timeout=2

to

REMEXEC40=cmd /c i:\tools\copydrivers.exe /c 
                    REMEXEC41=cmd /c i:\tools\ldprep /path=c:\drivers 
                    REMEXEC42=ldrun reboot, timeout=2

• 7. Re: HII in Landesk 9.0
                      Apprentice

I think i tried that yesterday with one of the guys from LANDesk, but am happy to try again, i will post the results in a minute or two!

Ta

Dave

• 8. Re: HII in Landesk 9.0
                        EMiranda Expert

and one more thing...

if you want to see anything on your screen to see what is going on, you should  add the ldrun command, without it everything is silent

• 9. Re: HII in Landesk 9.0
                          Apprentice

EMiranda

You were right about the REMEXEC, and the use of LDRUN was exactly what i needed to identify the problem! 

I ran copydrivers /v from the script and found that it was trying to pull files from the server using the full name of the machine (msld01.corporate.newport), this meant that the path was massive! so i shortend that to just the server name and its running like a dream!

Next step, provisioning - are you using provisioing at the moment?

LOL - MUCH THANKS!

Dave H

• 10. Re: HII in Landesk 9.0
                            EMiranda Expert

that is awesome, glad you got it working .  Yes we use provisioning, but not for imaging.  We really only use it for software deployment.

• 11. Re: HII in Landesk 9.0
                              Apprentice

Anything we should look out for?  As a council we have several large departments, all with smaller departments and all with different software.  We are hoping to achieve a solution where we have 1 standard HII build, then a provisioning job for each department's software needs!  I think its gonna be a tough one to crack, but we will get there! LOL

• 12. Re: HII in Landesk 9.0

Control is usually the biggest hurdle ... if YOU have central control over what hardware and such comes in, you should be good by and large.

If you DON'T control this (at least desktop side - servers are a separate cup of tea usually), then this will be a world of pain for you potentially ("What do you mean, where did you find VIA-based desktops?") ... all sorts of "fun" to be had that way (that'll make your hair grey).

That's pretty much the single biggest thing.

If you have control, you should be doing most things right as is anyway, since having disparate hardware and so on isn't exactly in your best interest ... .

- Paul Hoffmann

• 13. Re: HII in Landesk 9.0
                                  EMiranda Expert

I can tell you from experience, to do it all automatically will be a challenge, which is something we still face today.  One of our goals was to slim over 25 images into 1 universal image, that has been accomplished.  The second goal was to develope a "Zero Touch" provisioning for the end user to recieve a computer, start it up and setup everything automatically and the user start working.  Like you, we have many departments, each requiring their own software.  We have provisioning templates for each of our departments which work fine installing the software.

I guess the problem with us lies with how a provision policy works, if you schedule a policy for provisioning, it doesnt work the same as a software distribution policy.  Meaning, if the machine is not on when you hit "start now" in the console, the job gets hung in a "pending state" pretty much forever. So this doesn't work for us because if we would schedule a policy and then ship a pc to a user, it is obviously not turned, so the job would never start.  I however found a "workaround" by taking the ldprovisioning files and injecting them into the image and then launching the ldprovision.exe during RUNONCE which will force a contact back to the core server and then kick off the job.  However, we wanted to take this a step further and not rely on someone scheduling the template.

So right now we are working on getting the computer to boot up, determine the user's role, automatically schedule the correct provisioning template based off that user's role and then start the template.

With tons of scripting, we have almost made this possible and hopefully we can share this knowledge with LANDesk and provide some good ground work for the future of product, because we love it!