2 Replies Latest reply on May 21, 2010 9:54 AM by weedod

LDMS 9.0 & SQL Server 2008 R2

weedod Rookie

Hi Guy's,

This is my first post so be kind

We are about to deploy LDMS 9.0 and Patch Manager on a Windows 2008 R2 Std server but I want to know if it's ok to run it on a server with SQL Server 2008 R2 Std installed or does it only support SQL 2008 Std?

The documentation describes (LDMS90SQL2008Rev1[1]) SQL Server 2008 Std but knowing Microsoft I'm sure things will be different!!

Any help would be much appreciated.

Weedod

• 1. Re: LDMS 9.0 & SQL Server 2008 R2
          phoffmann SupportEmployee

Welcome to the community, George.

We've not tested / validated against SQL Server 2008 R2, only against the "non-R2" variant. I would doubt that the changes from 'normal' to R2 would affect us (it'd certainly be a first), but ...

From past experience, chances are that "all should be fine" if you go with the R2, but from a "comfort" point of view, I would suggest sticking to that which is tested and officially supported.

Unless you've got any "killer" reason for going with R2 (and/or your DBA promises to sign a paper in blood saying he'll fix any issues that are R2-only personally himself), I'd stick with the supported list. Even if it "should be fine" ... but "should" has a nasty tendency to attract Sod's Law, so ... I prefer to stick to sleeping easy .

EDIT:

Careful on the "Standard" thing - that's (much like the OS's) more of a distinguishing factor between Standard vs Enterprise - i.e. "how many CPU's can we support / how much memory do we support". That's less of an issue for us - it's more about the technology level (ultimately, we only talk to the DB itself, we don't particularly care for how much memory it uses etc. - that's for SQL to sort out) .

Hope this helps?

- Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead.

• 2. Re: LDMS 9.0 & SQL Server 2008 R2
            weedod Rookie

Hi Paul,

Many thanks for your quick response. I will stick to what has been tested rather than introducing other potential issue's.

Just wanted to double check before I proceed.

Much appreciated.

George