7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 6, 2011 8:35 AM by RichardA

Agent Revision

I think I know the answer but I am going to ask anyway.

When you update an agent, there is a column called "Revision" which increments by 1 each time. I want to add this data to my Column Set Configuration but I cannot find it in the Inventory. I would think if LANDesk are keeping track of the revision number, we should be able to use it.

• 1. Re: Agent Revision
          zman Master

I could not find it in the inventory or the registry. I could be like you and missing it, but if it is not there you can add it to this ER http://community.landesk.com/support/thread/10269

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Agent Revision
            phoffmann SupportEmployee

Hi Cameron,

at present we do NOT use the Revision on the client side. This is mostly (well - purely at this point) a Core-side tracker to help with versioning of clients.

What we use to identify agents can be found here in the registry:

Specifically we look at two things:

- Configuration Name ==> The name of the agent configuration this client uses.

- ConfiguredOn ==> The date on which the agent configuration has been created.

What happens - client-side - is that WSCFG32 checks whether the date of the agent-configuration is newer on the Core than the value in the registry. If not, it leaves well enough alone - but if the Core's date is newer, it means that the agent configuration has been revved, and so it would install it (since the date on the Core is newer).

The revision # is not tracked/added client-side yet, though there's something to be said for adding it I would say. Certainly something that I would suggest adding as an Enhancement Request to the relevant forum, if you are regularly concerned about being able to pin down more uniqueness to agent configuration / revisions.

- Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead

• 3. Re: Agent Revision

Thanks Paul.

How do I submit an enhancement request?

• 4. Re: Agent Revision
                phoffmann SupportEmployee

Doctor Z gave the direct link a bit of a related ER:

It would probably serve most if you add yourself to 'his' ER and specify that you'd like this to be recorded on the agent too / collected in inventory.

You enter the ER part of the community for LDMS here:

- http://community.landesk.com/support/community/featurerequests/ldms

Information on how ER's should be entered can be found here:

- http://community.landesk.com/support/docs/DOC-7223

If you cannot access the links / do not see the "Enhancement Request" category, there's likely a small problem linking to your account, or there is no active PMA (support agreement) registered against your company.

If there's an administrative problem, log a ticket with support, and we'll try to get it fixed .

- Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead

• 5. Re: Agent Revision

Thanks Paul

I have added my request to Doctor Z's enhancement request.

• 6. Re: Agent Revision

I name my agents with the Revision number up front.

Rev 10 ClarkPUD Default Agent

• 7. Re: Agent Revision

Ok, replying to a year-old post here, but as far as I'm aware, this still hasn't been implemented, the ER linked to above no longer exists, and I can't find another relevant open ER.

Is this idea still somewhere in the pipeline, or does it need another ER submitted? Is it no longer of interest to people?

We've started to include a version number in the agent configuration name, but that's had a number of negative knock-on effects on general agent management, and breaks provisioning, so it's far from ideal.

There is an ER to have agent configs auto-update a little like S&R behaviours do, and I'm in favour of this so have voted up that ER (although it's over a year old with only 10 votes, so I'm not hopeful) however I think an agent config revision number should still be reported in the device inventory regardless of the upgrade behaviour - it's just useful.

Any thoughts?