3 Replies Latest reply on May 26, 2010 4:44 PM by rfdswa

Help with list of scheduled tasks on workstation

Apprentice

Hi,

I'm in the process of cleaning up our current LD 8.8 installation and I've run into a problem with one of our old scheduled tasks. The original task was created to find PST files that existed on workstations. Unfortunately the original task has been deleted but it's still running weekly on our workstations. This was a simple vbs script that runs on the workstation and I believe that it was grabbed off of droppedpackets.org.

Problem is I need to delete the task - I've found this article:  http://community.landesk.com/support/docs/DOC-6623

And I've followed the intial query steps, my confusion is with the number of tasks that I'm seeing on the workstation and I can't tell which one I need to delete.  I know 555 and 777 are the defaults but considering I only have one other scheduled task which is updating the AV policy I'm at a loss.

Any assistance would be great.

D15035                             XP Workstation                 Microsoft Windows XP     100   C:\Program

Professional                                                                Files\LANDesk\LDClient\

purgefile.exe

D15035                             XP Workstation                 Microsoft Windows XP     101   C:\Program

Professional                                                                Files\LANDesk\LDClient\

purgefile.exe

D15035                             XP Workstation                 Microsoft Windows XP     130   C:\Program

clientdbutil.exe

D15035                             XP Workstation                 Microsoft Windows XP     555   C:\Program

vulScan.exe

D15035                             XP Workstation                 Microsoft Windows XP     600   C:\Program

policy.sync.exe

D15035                             XP Workstation                 Microsoft Windows XP     667   C:\Program

policy.sync.exe

D15035                             XP Workstation                 Microsoft Windows XP     777   C:\Program

LDIScn32.EXE

D15035                             XP Workstation                 Microsoft Windows XP     778   C:\Program

miniscan.EXE

D15035                             XP Workstation                 Microsoft Windows XP     893747             C:\Program

antivirus\ldav.exe

D15035                             XP Workstation                 Microsoft Windows XP     893748             C:\Program

antivirus\ldav.exe

• 1. Re: Help with list of scheduled tasks on workstation
          phoffmann SupportEmployee

None of those strike me as doing anything in regards to looking up a PST file.

- PURGEFILE is one ouf our processes.

- CLIENTDBUTIL is related to the policy database, and POLICY.SYNC is obviously related to policies too.

- MINISCAN and LDISCN32 are related to inventory scans

- VULSCAN is a vulnerability scanner (it's possible that this one is it, but it depends on what the paremeters are - if you're checking via a custom vulnerability for PST files and so).

- LDAV is our AntiVirus

If you want more clarity what's going on, do this.

1 - Go to the relevant client

2 - Open up a CMD prompt and go to the LDCLIENT directory - default "C:\Program Files\LANDesk\LDClient\").

3 - Run this command line:

""

localsch /tasks >output.txt
          ""

This will throw out the local scheduler tasks into human readable format into a file called "output.txt" (obviously name it whatever you want.

You can then look with more information at that, see what's going on .

It depends really on "how" you did this PST-lookup. None of those binaries are unexpected to be seen, truth be told. And "usually" an additional local scheduler task has a pretty big number (usually in the 6-7 digit range), like - say - 893747. Anything below 1,000 usually is "our own" stuff (/agent configuration related).

Does this help you any?

- Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical lead.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Help with list of scheduled tasks on workstation
            mrspike SSMMVPGroup

There are known issues where cancelled or deleted polices re-run on clients.

See this:

http://community.landesk.com/support/docs/DOC-8607

For a possible solution.

You might also need to do this in conjunction:

You can just copy the text below into a  .bat file and run it on the client or get it here: http://www.droppedpackets.org/software-distribution/policy-cleanup.bat/view

: This  script will delete the clients landesk database, recreate it, validate  it and clean up
            : old xml files/  Any xml files that are still  required will repopulate as needed
            : this is also good at fixing  portal and other policy issues

cmd /c del "c:\documents and settings\all  users\application data\landesk\managementsuite\database" /q
            del  "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application  Data\LANDesk\ManagementSuite\landesk\files" /q
            del "C:\Documents and  Settings\All Users\Application Data\vulScan\*.xml" /q
            del "C:\Program  Files\LANDesk\LDClient\sdmcache\landesk\files\*.xml" /q
            net stop  "Landesk Policy Invoker"
            "c:\program  files\landesk\ldclient\clientdbutil.exe" /create
            "c:\program  files\landesk\ldclient\clientdbutil.exe" /validate
            net start "Landesk  Policy Invoker"
            "c:\program files\landesk\ldclient\policy.sync.exe"
            "c:\program  files\landesk\ldclient\policy.client.invoker.exe"
            EXIT /B 0

• 3. Re: Help with list of scheduled tasks on workstation
              Apprentice

Thanks guys,

That helps heaps and I should be able to get it cleaned up now.

Cheers,

Matt