1 2 3 Previous Next 30 Replies Latest reply on Feb 7, 2008 9:29 AM by CarstenW

Why can't LD find certain machines?

Apprentice

We have about a half dozen machines, out of about 250, which LD seems unable to find.  Another just came to light a few minutes ago.  It's an XP, sp2 machine, the firewall is turned off.  I added it to LD, and added it to the scheduled task to scan for machines.  It failed.  The log file shows:

RemoteExecute, cmd /c mkdir C:\$ldcfg$

CBA 8 X509 operation : -2147481845 (8000070b8u) : Unable to contact the remote agent.

NT File Sharing : 1222 (4c68u) : The network is not present or not started.

NT File Sharing : 1203 (4b38u) : No network provider accepted the given network path.

Secure Shell : 1805 (70d8u) : An unspecified error in the protocol occured.

Remote execute using TCP failed, result 0x0000057a (1402)

On unmanaged systems this operation will attempt to access the ADMIN$ file share and remotely start a service

The firewall is off.  I know this because I asked about this specifically.  When I asked about automatic updates, its status was unkown.

If someone could please shed some light on just what this means, and how one might "fix" it, we would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance,

Tom

• 1. Re: Why can't LD find certain machines?
          Jared Barneck SupportEmployee

Can you access the admin$ share from the Core Server?

Computername\admin$

And can you write a file to that location?

• 2. Re: Why can't LD find certain machines?
            Apprentice

No.

First I tried executing:

dir
            computername\admin$

from the server, for the machine I just found.  The response was that the network path specified couldn't be found.  To make sure that I was doing this correctly, I tried it with my PC, which is in the LD db, and I was able to get a directory listing without incident.

Regarding the PC missing from LD, I can ping it from my PC, and from the server.  I just can't access the admin share.  ( I also tested this with another of the PCs that LD rejected in the scan.  It too behaved the vary same way. )

I checked, and both my PC and the "missing" PC have admin$ shares.  Things...appear...to be okay.

What do I need to look for?

• 3. Re: Why can't LD find certain machines?
              Employee

Can you connect to
              computername\admin$?  What about
              computername\C$?

• 4. Re: Why can't LD find certain machines?
                Jared Barneck SupportEmployee

Maybe you problem is name resolution.

I thought ping uses DNS.  Browsing network shares uses NetBIOS/WINS.

• 5. Re: Why can't LD find certain machines?
                  Jason SupportEmployee

Your getting this when trying to "scan" a pc or when deploying the LDMS agent to the pc?

The snippet of the log attached is an agent install log.

The most common reason for and agent install to fail are as follows

1. The LANDesk Scheduler account does not have permission to write to the clients c$ share.

2. Simple file sharing is enabled

3. File and printer sharing for Microsoft networks is disabled

4. Firewall issues.

• 7. Re: Why can't LD find certain machines?
                    Employee

Here are a couple of other things to look at. These may be obvious, so forgive me for that, but just trying to cover all the bases here.

1. Is the computer in question added to the domain?

2. Is the Domain Admins group being pushed down to the Local Admins group on the machine?

3. If the above are true, are you logged into the core with a domain admin account when you try to access the
                    computername\c$

4. Is the core server in the domain?

Hope these are helpful.

ST

• 8. Re: Why can't LD find certain machines?
                      Apprentice

When deploying the LDMS agent to the pc.

1.) How would I check this?

2.) TCP/IP properties matches my PC.

3.) ditto...it's there, as it is on mine.

4.) It's off.

FWIW...I checked this using our old remote control software, Net Support.  We find that we're still using it because of the occasional glitch(?) with LD not being able to deal with a particular PC.  We like nothing better than to get this issue resolved, so we can use just one product.

I tried communicating with several of the other failed install PCs, but can't ping them.  ( Most users power off their PCs when they leave, and we have both Fire & Police Depts, where these may be located. )  The machine I found missing this afternoon, and have been playing with...is not our "normal" XP.  It is a "Tablet PC Edition 2005".  ( I think we only have 2 or 3 of these, and I'm pretty sure that at least 1 of the others the user installed normal XP on it, so he could actually get some work done, instead of fighting with the dadgum PC all the time. )  This shouldn't make any difference, should it?

Thanks,

Tom

• 9. Re: Why can't LD find certain machines?
                        Jason SupportEmployee

Note: Device should also be part of the domain.

Resolution 1. Scheduler account does not have permission to resolve follow the steps below.

1) On the core server, open the LANDesk Management Suite console.

2) Go to Configure | Services. The Configure LANDesk Software Services window will open.

3) Click on the Scheduler tab.

4) Click on the 'Change Login' button and change the service login account to be that of a user with administrator permissions on the target devices of the scheduled task. This is normally a domain administrator account. Ensure all domain accounts use the format domain name\username. If some of your targets are not part of a domain, you may also specify additional accounts in the Alternate credentials section.

5) Click OK and accept to restart the Scheduler service.

6) Retry pushing the agent.

If there is a Policy to Force Security Accounts enabled in the GPO settings on the Domain Controller. Disable this to resolve the rights issue.

2. Disable simple file sharing.

Within windows on the client machine open up a folder and click on Tools, select Folder Options and click the View tab. Scroll to the end of the list under Advanced Settings and uncheck "Use simple file sharing (Recommended)".

To make the change from the registry, open regedit and browse to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa

Edit the ForceGuest REG_DWORD and change the value to decimal 0.

• 10. Re: Why can't LD find certain machines?
                          Employee

Open the LD Console on the core server, then choose Configure | Services.  Click on the Scheduler tab and check which account it has specified.  I would recommend using a domain administrator account here.

To check if simple file sharing is disabled, open any windows explorer window, then go to Tools | Folder Options | Views. Scroll to the bottom and make sure that Use Simple File Sharing is not checked.

So just to clarify, if you do a 'ping -a' against the client machine, does the name and IP address match what you think it should be?

• 11. Re: Why can't LD find certain machines?
                            Apprentice

jbsaxman wrote:

Open the LD Console on the core server, then choose Configure | Services. Click on the Scheduler tab and check which account it has specified. I would recommend using a domain administrator account here.

To check if simple file sharing is disabled, open any windows explorer window, then go to Tools | Folder Options | Views. Scroll to the bottom and make sure that Use Simple File Sharing is not checked.

So just to clarify, if you do a 'ping -a' against the client machine, does the name and IP address match what you think it should be?

Now maybe we're getting somewhere...

While "Simple File Sharing" is checked on this machine, it is also checked on mine as well, yet mine isn't a problem. But about the IP address...

When I either connect to the missing PC, or walk over to it, at the next desk, I know what the IP address is. When I ping the name, I get back a different address. And NSLookup returns that same different address.

I used ipconfig to release and renew the lease. The "new" address is the same as it was before. It has now been several hours since I did that, but I'm still getting the different address. It's been a LONG time since I've played with DHCP, but doesn't it maintain some sort of table? Like, perhaps I need to go into it and delete the erroneous entry? ( When I say long, I mean about 8 years or so. )

Tom

• 12. Re: Why can't LD find certain machines?
                              Employee

You will want to uncheck use simple file sharing, especially in a domain environment.  It is also recommended in the deployment guide and users guide, too, if I remember right.  For more information on what simply file sharing does, check out http://www.windowsnetworking.com/articles_tutorials/wxpsimsh.html

If you cannot ping the client machine by name and have it resolve to the proper IP address, then it is not a DHCP issue, it is a DNS issue and you will want to have your Networking team look at that.  This would also help explain why the console can't see the machine.

• 13. Re: Why can't LD find certain machines?
                                Apprentice

jbsaxman wrote:

You will want to uncheck use simple file sharing, especially in a domain environment. It is also recommended in the deployment guide and users guide, too, if I remember right. For more information on what simply file sharing does, check out http://www.windowsnetworking.com/articles_tutorials/wxpsimsh.html

If you cannot ping the client machine by name and have it resolve to the proper IP address, then it is not a DHCP issue, it is a DNS issue and you will want to have your Networking team look at that. This would also help explain why the console can't see the machine.

Under TCP/IP properties, instead of the two current DNS server addresses, onw was current and one was our old DNS server address. Under WINS, there were three entries. The two current and one old addresses. I have corrected both. Do I have to do anything else? ( Assuming that this was the problem, of course. )

Thanks,

Tom

• 14. Re: Why can't LD find certain machines?
                                  Employee

Why do you have static DNS servers set?  Why not let the DHCP server take care of that.  Try removing the DNS servers altogether, then do an 'ipconfig /release' and 'ipconfig /renew'.  If your client has an old DNS server statically assigned, it would certainly explain why the DNS records are not updated.

1 2 3 Previous Next