3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 15, 2010 8:37 AM by EMiranda

Changes to PXE menu

Apprentice

Hi All

I have a question about the PXE menu. When you boot to the PXE menu if you dont press F8 and just let the timer run out it does a local boot. What I want is it to boot to WINPE Provisioning instead. Anyone have any ideas about how to accomplish this? Using Landesk 9 by the way.

Cheers

Gary

• 1. Re: Changes to PXE menu
          EMiranda Expert

unfortunately it cannot be done.  The intel pxe configuration utility has hard coded pxe menu items supplied by LANDesk that cannot be modified.  Those include the Local Boot - Boot type 0.  Since it is hard coded to have the Local Boot set first it will always default to booting off the local disk.

Only way you can get provisioning to automate the way you want is to schedule it on the core and it will immediatly go into win pe provisioning.

• 2. Re: Changes to PXE menu
            Apprentice

Hi EMiranda

Thanks for the info, I suspected as much but I was hoping there was a way.

On your second point, I have scheduled a task on the core but it still boots to the PXE menu. When I choose WinPE Provisioning it goes through and provisions automatically without anymore imput (except for another password as we use a secure PXE rep). Is this not right, should it not show the PXE menu if a job is scheduled?

Cheers

Gary

• 3. Re: Changes to PXE menu
              EMiranda Expert

I have never used a secure pxe rep so i dont know if that has an effect, but normally when I schedule a provision job that has winpe actions once pxe booted and the pxe miniscan reaches the server, it automatically chooses winpe provisioning and starts the job.  No manual input.