7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 22, 2010 10:38 AM by JaysonDayman

Custom data forms - data is not added to inventory

Apprentice

We recently started using custom data forms in LANDesk 8.8 and it seemed to work ok at first. Lately we have found that if we fill out the custom data form and then send in a full inventory scan, the form data is usually not added to our database. (I say "usually" because when I run a query in LANDesk I can see that one computer added custom data as recently as yesterday, however many of the computers never seem to send the custom form data.)

The command we are using to force a full inventory scan on the clients is...

"C:\Program Files\LANDesk\LDClient\LDISCN32.EXE" /NTT=<LDMSCORE>:5007 /S=2305SRV2  /I=HTTP://<LDMSCORE>/ldlogon/ldappl3.ldz /NOUI /SYNCH

After running this command I can see that the "Last software scan date" has changed in LANDesk, and as far as I know allthe software and hardware inventory is updated accurately. When I check in the "..\LANDesk\LDClient" folder on the client computer I can see that LDCUSTOM.DAT is there, and if I open the file with Notepad I can read the custom form data that we entered.

What could be stopping those clients from entering the custom data in our database? Is there a log file on the server or on the client that I should be looking at?

• 1. Re: Custom data forms - data is not added to inventory
          Apprentice

Check your application log on your core server to see if it is actually sending an error from the LANDesk Inventory Server. You will also see in the LDMain\ldscan\errorscan directory all the errored inventory scan files. The application log tells you the name of the scan file that error and why it failed ot be put into the database.

This is a quick version, but should help you out.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Custom data forms - data is not added to inventory
            Apprentice

Thanks for the suggestion to check the Windows Event Logs. It does reveal some helpful information but raises another question. According to the Application log I have quite a number of Inventory scans that fail for a reason that seems fairly consistent...

I get this...

" The size of VideoMonitor.SERIALNUM is too small. Increase its size by at least 12."

Followed immediately by this...

"Database exception: SCA5909.SCN, LDInv.dll

Multi-step operation generated errors. Check each status value.

Update Table:VideoMonitor Column:SERIALNUM PK:4, Thread ID: 3704"

I look in the errorscans folder and find the specified SCN file and it contains the following section for Video Monitors, which I think is causing the problem...

"Video - Monitors - Monitor - (Number:4) - Model =Plug and Play Monitor
                 Video - Monitors - Monitor - (Number:4) - Manufacturer =SHP
                 Video - Monitors - Monitor - (Number:4) - Serial Number =ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ3 ^¸)åÈá3 kÑAÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿIÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿIÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿI
                 Video - Monitors - Monitor - (Number:4) - Manufacturing Year =2008
                 Video - Monitors - Monitor - (Number:4) - Manufacturing Week =00
                 Video - Monitors - Monitor - (Number:4) - Vendor ID =SHP"

So my next question would be - if I have multiple LANDesk agents failing to send scans because of this "Video Monitor 4" problem, what's the best way to solve it? Re-installing the LANDesk agent on one of the affected computers didn't help. As far as I know there is no "Monitor 4" on this computer. (It's a desktop system at a remote site so I haven't checked yet to see what monitors are actually connected.)

Can I selectively tell the LANDesk core server that it should stop collecting inventory for Monitor 4?

• 3. Re: Custom data forms - data is not added to inventory
              Employee

Multiple step operation errors usually have a companion error message with more detail.  Often (almost always that I've seen) it is that the data being entered is longer than what is allowed based on the database column width.  That is easily corrected.  Can you see if there is another error message immediately by the error message you posted and if so post what it contains?

Thanks!

• 4. Re: Custom data forms - data is not added to inventory
                Apprentice

I probably showed the two Event Log entries in the wrong order in my earlier post. I think the companion error message that you are asking about was...

" The size of VideoMonitor.SERIALNUM is too small. Increase its size by at least 12."

Also, I posted a portion of the SCN file that I thought might be causing this problem...

"Video - Monitors - Monitor - (Number:4) - Model =Plug and Play Monitor
                     Video - Monitors - Monitor - (Number:4) - Manufacturer =SHP
                     Video - Monitors - Monitor - (Number:4) - Serial Number =ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ3 ^¸)åÈá3 kÑAÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿIÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿIÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿI
                     Video - Monitors - Monitor - (Number:4) - Manufacturing Year =2008
                     Video - Monitors - Monitor - (Number:4) - Manufacturing Week =00
                     Video - Monitors - Monitor - (Number:4) - Vendor ID =SHP"

Since my earlier post, I have tried a little experiment which confirmed that the Video Monitor serial number was the problem. I opened the SCN file in Notepad and replaced the long string of gibberish after "Serial Number =" with the string "UNKNOWN". Then I dropped the SCN file into the LDSCAN folder on my core server and sure enough - the inventory scan was sent to our database. And Monitor 4 on that particular client now shows up with a serial number "UNKNOWN".

So now I can see what was causing the LANDesk client to fail it's Inventory scans. (It hadn't sent in a scan successfully since March 4th.) At this point I don't know if we have a general problem with lots of machines affected, or if it's just this one computer that has the problem. (I have quite a few identical Event Log entries but they might all be coming from the same client. Unfortunately I cleaned out the ErrorScan folder yesterday so I can't examine the history very well.) I know that re-installing the LANDesk Agent didn't fix anything. I'm not sure if there's any other way to correct the problem - either on a single machine or globally if lots of machines are affected.

By the way -you've gotta love the LANDesk forums! I'm always impressed with the quality of assistance that I can get here by posting a problem like this.

Jayson

• 5. Re: Custom data forms - data is not added to inventory
                  Employee

Ahh, I missed that you had both of them up there.  That's what I get for trying to do too much at once.

The " The size of VideoMonitor.SERIALNUM is too small. Increase its size by at least 12." message is exactly what I was looking for (and was, in fact, there).  What that means is that your inventory value is 12 characters larger than the maximum size we have made for that database column.

The resolution can be found here:

ERROR: "Multiple-step operation generated errors. Check each status value" - Column is too small

The document was written for 8.7 or 8.8, but the resolution is still the same in 9.0.

Step 6 of the resolution requires running CoreDBUtil, just make sure that you do NOT press the reset database button.  It does exactly what it says, and it doesn't ask if you really mean it.  The button that says Build Components (as the instructions say to use) is completely safe.

Basically the article will instruct you as to how to increase the size of the column so that your data will fit.  I always increase it by a little more than the amount indicated to give it some breathing room, but you can obviously determine how you want to approach that.

Let me know if that helps!

• 6. Re: Custom data forms - data is not added to inventory
                    Apprentice

Thanks to both Mach6 and Kerrie! Posted my problem yesterday - got it solved today. Outstanding!

Just two quick questions on "Datamart.xml". It's not mentioned in the document that you linked - could this file be over-written when we apply a LANDesk service pack? And I presume it would NOT be wise to use a backed up copy of datamart.xml after we apply a Service Pack, and especially if we move to LANDesk 9. Is it best to just edit the file again after an upgrade or SP?

Jayson

• 7. Re: Custom data forms - data is not added to inventory
                      Apprentice

One last note on this, just in case others are having similar trouble. After investigating and solving some problems with Inventory (as suggested by the folks in this thread) we still had a bunch of laptops that would send Inventory scans successfully without any errors, but the custom data form information was missing from Inventory.

We opened a support case on this (Support Case #00208862) and for us the final piece of the puzzle was a file called LDSCNHLP.INI which is located in the LDClient folder on each computer where a LANDesk agent is installed. This file tells the Inventory Scanner what data to scan for and send to the core server. In our case the INI file was missing a line that told the agent to send custom data form information.