4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 16, 2008 8:37 AM by scottunify

Deploying Images & Application from UK to Far East offices

Hi all

We have 9 British offices and we have successfully used PXE Reps at each site to deploy our new XP SP2 image and our business applications to all 1600+ machines. 

We are planning to implement this solution throughout our Asia offices (Shanghai, Beijing & Hong Kong) in March this year, about 100 machines in total.  Obviously, we're considering the network implications of installing a local PXE Rep to deploy the image and applications, but we had PXE Booting problems that prevented us from rolling out to our Dubai office.  We setup a PC while we were in Dubai and I deployed the PXE Rep software to the PC, but when we tried to PXE Boot it just hung on "waiting for command".  All other sites were PXE Booting fine at the time and I check all files/processes were fine so we could only assume it was just far too slow and wasn't compatible perhaps?

So we were forced to use a CD of the image and applications to upgrade each machine instead.  Luckily there were only 10-15 machines, so a CD upgrade was feasible.  However, this time we have 100 machines to upgrade, so a CD upgrade is not so feasible, but is it our only option?

So could I ask for your advice on how best to roll this out to 100 machines in the Far East considering we only have 1 core server based in London please?

Many thanks

• 1. Re: Deploying Images & Application from UK to Far East offices
          Jared Barneck SupportEmployee

Well, first off, the LANDesk PXE representative must send in 4 queries to the Core Server via a web service (port 80) and the PXE Representative must get a response to all four before it responds with the F8 menu.

So if you apply this patch: OSD-11890287.4 (which should be in SP5) it should only make 1 single request.  Which may help.  Call support to get the patch or wait for SP5.

Now, there is no reason you have to limit yourself to our PXE rep.  Setup your own PXE server.   I have set up an open source PXE server with FreeBSD 6.2, PXE 1.4.x, and a DHCP/TFTP daemon that pretty much mimics ours except for the one feature called the PXE Holding Queue.

Then why even care about talking to the Core Server at all during the imaging process.  Just setup some batch file jobs inside the WinPE image that will do the imaging process without talking to the Core Server all the way over there in London.

• 2. Re: Deploying Images & Application from UK to Far East offices

Are your 100 machines that your looking to upgrade already XP machines which just need SP2 and your new business apps? If so I would say it might be a better solution to deploy all of your patch updates and then Package your software apps into individual packages and leverage LANDesks software deployment technology to save bandwidth.. (Peerdownload) theres other options aswell which you would change depending on your bandwidth requirements.

Just a an idea.. I hope I understood the question correctly..

• 3. Re: Deploying Images & Application from UK to Far East offices
              Jared Barneck SupportEmployee

Also if you went with an Open Source solution for the PXE Rep, you could install Apache on it and it could be your Preferred Package Server too.

• 4. Re: Deploying Images & Application from UK to Far East offices

Thanks for the replies rhyous and ryse.

Unfortunately, we are still using LDMS 8.5 SP2 and are waiting for 8.8 to be released before upgrading, instead of spending time upgrading to 8.7 now.  We are planning to upgrade the machine in our Asia offices in May/June, so we hope to have 8.8 in place by March/April.

rhyous, I like the idea of an Open Source solution for the PXE Rep.

I have since spoken with LANDesk Support who advise to:

-Install the latest SP if possible-Generally the problem that you are experiencing is due to the inability of the device to contact back the core server.My suggestion to debug the issue is: modify the OSD script manually avoiding to reboot so you will have a DOS Command prompt.From this DOS command prompt you can perform some checks: 1-if you ping the CORE are you able to resolve the address and ping it? 2-Are you able to share the directories with the command contained in the original script? Basically the technique is to execute line by line manually the script and see what's happen.

If you will download the manual of the product you will find in the ZIP file a file called LDMSDEPLOY.PDF.if you look in this file you will find a list of ports needed by OSD process. Verify that the firewall/routing rules allow all the required communications as well.

I haven't downloaded the PDF yet to find out what ports need to be opened, but I would have thought they would already be open?