6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 14, 2008 8:32 AM by Jared Barneck

Extending the Schema

Rookie

I have my customized.xml worked out in my dev environment and it creates the tables ok. I assumed while doing this that I would be able to populate these new table during a scan using ldscnhlp.ini but any dat files i specify just get dumped under custom data. Is there a way to have data collected during a scan to be put into anything other than the unmodeled data table without an outside process accessing the database? Thanks, Joe.

• 1. Re: Extending the Schema
          Jared Barneck SupportEmployee

Everything that is add by a file entered in ldscnhlp.ini will be added as Custom Data.

I am not sure if there is a way to get other data that goes anywhere but Custom Data without modifying the code in LDISCN32.EXE.

There may be something you can do with the Landesk SDK, but that SDK is not free (contact your sales rep for it) and I am not sure if you could even develop what you are asking using it.

• 2. Re: Extending the Schema
            Rookie

Well I was able to get it into the new table by dropping ims files that I made into the ldscan folder. LDSCNHLP does not seem to work. It just doesnt put the data anywhere now, not even into unmodeleddata. What I can't figure out now is how to get dates in. The ctime function I found is not working at all for my custom data. If I copy a converted time from invdelta.dat and put it into my file, the conversions that is stored in the database is way off. Even when I try it in excel the dates/times are 5 hours off, not sure why.

• 3. Re: Extending the Schema
              Apprentice

Mind you -- different DB's accept dates in different formats and excel might do a different format also. Being that everything is off by 5 hours I bet its something to do with timezones, are you on the east coast? Are all your times corrected properly for time zones?

• 4. Re: Extending the Schema
                Rookie

Well I took excel out of the picture and just used a vbs to calculate the seconds since 1/1/1970 to the date i had and that goes in fine. I did find that there needed to be a newline at the end of the file. If I create these into a ims file and drop it into ldscn they work fine but if the data goes through ldscnhlp, the same data just gets ignored and never gets added to the database.

• 5. Re: Extending the Schema
                  Employee

Look for database errors from inventory service in event viewer, and look in errorscan.

Custom data from ldiscnhlp goes up with the regular inventory scan file. If you match existing tables, it will go there; if you don't, it goes into the unmodeleddata tables.  By existing tables I mean "part of the schema as defined in datamart.xml", not necessarily "some table you added on your own."

There are a ton of custom data insertion examples at http://www.droppedpackets.org, as well as documents on extending the schema should it be required. It might help you to follow an example or modify existing code that already works.

• 6. Re: Extending the Schema
                    Jared Barneck SupportEmployee

Yes, miniscans must end with a blank line, otherwise you may lose the

last character of the last line.