1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 29, 2010 1:05 PM by karenpeacock

Using Support Groups Hierachy for dynamic reporting in Crystal Reports

elizabethcombrink Employee

I have created relationships on Support Group to show what the reporting hierachy on the different groups are - see my screenshotSupport Group window.bmp

BCS is the top level "group" (Top Level L1 in the hierachy) and represents the different companies using LanDesk and who need their own reports

BCS has a number of Departments (L2 Hierachy) of which CLIENTSERVICES is one.

CLIENTSERVICES has a number of teams (SERVICEDESK, TELEPHONY, and others)

Doing it this way gives me the flexibility to be able to create my crystal reports without having to hardcode the actual teams.  As I create new support groups, rename them etc, they still get pulled into the crystal report because I can use the hierachy I manage within Console.

I also then use the Receives Tickets tick box to limit the groups that appear on the assignment window as I don't want tickets (incidents or changes) assigned to my hierachy groups.  This is done using a filter on the process assignment object.

Also see that I've created a Responsible Analyst field so that I can easily push query results out to team leaders for ALL the groups they are responsible for without having to hardcode the queries or them having to change group to use CurrentGroup criteria.

An advantage of using the Recieves Tickets tick box (which I did not consider at the time!) is that I can now actually make support groups appear or disappear from the assignment window by simply ticking the Receives Tickets box  when creating or retiring support groups.  ie once I've updated the group membership, emailed everybody to tell them about it, etc etc, and then also when I want to prevent people from assigning tickets to the group, ie ADMINISTRATORS group.