1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 29, 2010 2:15 PM by AspenSkier

need help preparing a disk for imaging

So I am looking to create a provisioning template that I plan to include in future image deployment provisioning templates.  I would like this disk-prep template to wipe a hard drive clean, then lay down 2 formatted partitions of varying sizes according to variables.

Today I have tried a template that uses a combination of actions I found on other templates.

1)Diskpart.exe -s x:\ldclient\rmvol.txt

-listed as "Remove all volume assignments"

-this is an action item

-another action item

-yet another action item

-surprise, another action item.

-then 3-5 repeat a 2nd time to create and format my 2nd partition.

This template HANGS at the 2nd instance of FORMAT PARTITION; The console window on the client reports the following:

Disk 0 is now the selected disk.

Partition 2 is now the selected partition.

DiskPart successfully assigned the drive letter or mount point.

waiting for DiskPart to complete........

<END QUOTE>

Nothing happens after this; the LDMS console reports that the provisioning task remains in the RUNNING state long after the client seemed to be last responding to the provisioning task.

-can anyone suggest what I have done wrong or provide a sample template that does what I need?

• 1. Re: need help preparing a disk for imaging

I will add some additional information.

The images that I plan to deploy will have 2 partitions, hence my wish to prepare the disk with 2 partitions. I will ensure that the source partitions contained in the image are smaller than what will be required on target computers.

I tried the same provisioning task as above on a different computer and managed to get all the way through to the OS Installation portion of the template when it failed, reporting the following:

Just before the failure; I see the following ERROR

"Target location would overlap existing partitions"

then the error:

from the client console

error:[80001803H]The action failed

Return: 12

from the LDMS console

execution status:  FAILED

Internal Status: -2147477501

External Status: 12

is this failure the result of having a source partition larger than a target partition?

I checked the size of the partitions within the image and made sure the target partition was larger and then reran the task; the result was the same a 2nd time.