3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 13, 2010 4:55 AM by dmshimself

Using placeholders to populate Child change calls

Apprentice

Hi,

I am trying to automatically populate a child change call by creating an automatic action that creates a child change and uses placeholders to fill in the details section.

Whilst the notification of the new change looks ok:

"The call you raised has now been given the Change Request Number 2051

Change Details:

dave qvb starts in  x dept on 15/07/2010 17:41:05 [GMT Daylight Time (GMT+01:00)]"

The child change details still just shows the placeholders:

"{Parents/Parent/_NewUserFormCol/_NewStartersName} starts in  x dept on {Parents/Parent/_NewUserFormCol/_StartDate}"

Can anyone help?

Cheers,

Oliver

• 1. Re: Using placeholders to populate Child change calls
          dmshimself ITSMMVPGroup

When creating the child change, did you use the right hand click value type operation to get a copy of those attributes in?  In the past I have seen people copy paste from other areas which have the textual string { ... and this isn't what you need here.

• 2. Re: Using placeholders to populate Child change calls
            Apprentice

Hi Dave,

Yes, I can get it to work if I use the right click method but I ideally want to use one form (that the user fills in) on the parent change to create several child jobs with different details. For instance for the parent new starter form, we would have a child change for creating an AD account. The child change in that instance should have the details as:

{Parents/Parent/_NewUserFormCol/_NewStartersName} starts on {Parents/Parent/_NewUserFormCol/_StartDate}, please create an AD account for them.

And so on, for different jobs in our new user process.

If I can't do this through using the {} placeholders, is there any way round this?

Regards,

Oliver

• 3. Re: Using placeholders to populate Child change calls
              dmshimself ITSMMVPGroup

Yes, if you are using 7.3, then you could do this sort of concatenation of data using a calculation.  If you are on 7.2, then I cannot think of a way of doing this.

I think if you rummage around the calculation part of this forum, there are some examples other people have contributed.

In the past with 7.2  I have produced specific tasks for each of the sort of activities you mention.  That way you can create a specific task form with a specific attribute to hold start date and so on.  That way you don't need to manipulate data, you plonk the field from the change in to the task.