3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 17, 2008 11:40 AM by sevich

Explanation of different WinPE boot images

Apprentice

Hello all,

I was just looking for some clarification on some of the boot images and their function. I understand that the master PE image is the ldvpe1.img, however I was just curious as to what the ldvboot.img, ldvpe0.img, and ldvpe2.img do.

Also when a PXE rep is deployed it creates a peboot.img and prov_winpe.img which both seem to be modified images from the ldvpe1.img during the pxe rep deployment, however I'm not sure what the difference is between the 2 and what the difference is between those and the ldvpe1.img.

My end goal is that I am trying to install the optional components for WinPE so I can run VBScript. However when I add the files to ldvpe1.img and modify the startnet.cmd to run the batch file to register all the scripting dll's, the startnet.cmd gets modified somewhere in the deployment to a pxe rep. Not a total road block as I can just edit the .img files once they are sitting on the pxe rep, but I was just wondering if anyone also knew any more details of what the pxe rep modifies in the images.

• 1. Re: Explanation of different WinPE boot images
          zman Master

I could explain but Jan/Mike do a much better job     Download this ZIP file from DroppedPackets.

Review the HII-Winpe.PDF file section 5. This should  help.

There is the following special consideration when editing startnet.cmd prior to 8.7 SP2:

when you edit startnet.cmd in the core server’s ldvpe1.img, the change will not be

propagated to the PXE reps because the PXE rep installation package puts in a new

startnet.cmd buried inside the MSI file. If you wanted to insert additional lines in

startnet.cmd, insert them in both PxeMenuStart.cmd and PxeStart.cmd instead. These

files are called by startnet.cmd.

Another good doc. Windows PreInstallation Environment (WinPE) Whitepaper

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Explanation of different WinPE boot images
            Jared Barneck SupportEmployee

LVBoot.img = The DOS PXE Boot file use only during a Vboot.  It

becomes a virtual partition and then is that virtual partition is made

the active partition, so the machine boots to this file.  The first

thing it does once it boots to WinPE is change the partition table back

to normal.  (You probably don't care about this file.)

LDVPE0.img = A partition image that contains the bootstrap files.

This is used only during a Vboot.  It becomes a virtual partition and

then is that virtual partition is made the active partition, so the

machine boots to this file.  The first thing it does once it boots to

WinPE is change the partition table back to normal.  This is used to

boot up and then to load the LDVPE1.IMG

LDVPE1.IMG = A partition image that contains the WinPE partition that

will eventually be the RAM disk.

PEBoot.img = During the PXE Representative installation, the

LDVPE1.IMG file is copied to the PXE Representative and changes are made

to it.  Once copied to the PXE Representative, a copy of LDVPE1.IMG is

placed in c:\program files\landesk\pxe\system\images directory and

renamed to PEBOOT.IMG.  One of the main changes to this file is an

alternate STARTNET.CMD that is different than the original one used

during a Vboot with LDVPE1.IMG.

Hope that helps...

• 3. Re: Explanation of different WinPE boot images
              Apprentice

Thank you both for your help, I think that will help me with what I need to do. Thanks for the link info from droppedpackets. The way I'm trying to do imaging is pretty similar but what I'm looking to do is run a vbscrip I made to query WMI for the model number of the machine while in WinPE. Based on that model number it will download the appropriate drivers to my image in folders I already made before sysprep for various categories such as Video, NIC, Modem, etc.