10 Replies Latest reply on Oct 29, 2010 10:15 PM by Jawad.Butt

Pushing Printer Drivers

jsiegrist Apprentice

Does anyone have a method for remotely pushing out printer drivers? Here is my situation, we have a small fleet of Windows 7 computers. We recently replaced a couple of copiers which required new drivers on the print server. When the printers are installed on the client computers, they need the new driver installed from the print server. They will pull it down, but because of UAC it requires administrator intervention (ie my dept) to log into the machine.

I know there is a way in group policy to allow users to install certain classes of devices, I did try to do that for printers but could not get it to work. If anyone knows what I am talking about here that would be the ideal way to go I think.

Otherwise, how can I remotely install a printer driver on a computer so the user doesn't have to bug us to install the driver for them?

Any ideas?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Pushing Printer Drivers
          Apprentice

In XP/Vista there was a group policy setting to allw users to install printers which resolved this in a past contract.

Alternatively, if you can get a printer drivers package in a exe or msi, you should be able to push it like a regular software package.  In some cases you may need to create a script based process to copy the files and properly register them.

-Dave

• 2. Re: Pushing Printer Drivers
            jsiegrist Apprentice

Do you happen to recall where that GP setting was?

Thanks

• 3. Re: Pushing Printer Drivers
              Expert

Power Users should have the ability to install printers available from a print server.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/331055

If you read the description in the article and the policy (applies to 2003 to) it implies what I discribe.

If they can't install the driver, is it possible there are restrictions in the printer configuration on the print server?

• 4. Re: Pushing Printer Drivers
                Expert

Also, what David mentions about pushing the drivers like software would work as well. The users might also get aditional features enable which might or might not be good.

• 5. Re: Pushing Printer Drivers
                  jsiegrist Apprentice

Bumping the thread.

How would I go about pushing it out like regular software? Now I have some Epson Thermal printers we are getting ready to deploy. The driver has a .INF which I tried installing with a .bat file but that didn't work.

Any ideas? Has anyone actually done this?

Thanks,

Jesse

• 6. Re: Pushing Printer Drivers
                    Expert

When you download the drivers, they usually come in an installer format whether it be exe or msi. The subsequent of the base install of the actual driver file is the inf, but, like video card drivers, if you want all the bells and whistles, you would need to run the full installer. How the install works will be different by the vendor's method of packaging so what you might be looking for on their website is an administrative installer.

• 7. Re: Pushing Printer Drivers
                      Apprentice

If you are using Windows Server 2008 R2 as your print server, you can use the print management MMC to deploy printers via group policy.

As also suggested above, LD can push an .exe or .msi installer for you.

• 8. Re: Pushing Printer Drivers
                        jsiegrist Apprentice

In this case they don't. The two executables listed are not the installing type. Usually life is much simpler when the driver is provided like this.( I hate the HP mongo executable installs. ) But for LD purposes, I'm not sure what to do about this.

Capture.PNG

• 9. Re: Pushing Printer Drivers
                          jsiegrist Apprentice

Figured it out!

I created a generic printer on our sever so the driver was available. Then used vbs to create and remove a the network printer, that effectively installs the driver on the computer.

For Windows 7, I had to modify our Group Policy to allow drivers to be installed without prompting. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc753269.aspx#BKMK_GPLimitServers.

Here's the .vbs code: (This could be cleaned up quite a bit.)

'This script adds a network printer and then removes it in order to get the driver installed. computername should be the name of your print server. UNCPath
                          'should be the \\servername\printershare

Option Explicit
                          Dim netPrinter
                          Dim UNCpath
                          Dim objNetwork

'This is the share for the printer you want to add
                          UNCpath = "\\jager\Epson_Driver"

'Add Printer
                          Set netPrinter = CreateObject("WScript.Network")
                          netPrinter.AddWindowsPrinterConnection UNCpath
                          WScript.Echo "Your printer is mapped from : " & UNCpath

'Remove Printer
                          Set objNetwork = CreateObject("WScript.Network")
                          objNetwork.RemovePrinterConnection UNCpath, true, true
                          Wscript.Echo "This printer was removed : " & UNCpath

wscript.echo "Done."

Should have thought of this earlier.

PS: From here I used Landesk to push a .bat file which calls cscript.exe to run the .vbs file for those who aren't familiar with vbscripting yet. All that needs to have in it is: cscript.exe your_script.vbs

• 10. Re: Pushing Printer Drivers
                            Apprentice

another suggestion that i can give that you might like is using the batch file... Running the following adds the network printer using the inf file.

RUNDLL32 PRINTUI.DLL,PrintUIEntry /ia /c\\machine /m "AGFA-AccuSet v52.3" /h "Intel" /v "Windows 2000" /f %windir%\inf\ntprint.inf

Reference: http://www.robvanderwoude.com/2kprintcontrol.php

you can change the location of the inf file that is at the end. Use network share. Put the above mentioned line in the batch file adn deploy. Make sure you use /q for quiet if you need to.