9 Replies Latest reply on Jul 30, 2010 11:39 AM by toddbliven

Staging Patch scans and auto fixing?

Rookie

OK, I like others have been handed LanDesk with no in house support, or training. I have used the BKP.pdf's to get it set up and running. I have inventory working and remote also. I get some reports out of it, but need to work on that. But I am at the point where they want me to start scanning and patching. I am looking at the best known but it doesn't make much sense. I can select auto fix, and that patches everyone. Powers to be would like it to go to test computers one day. And then a small sub set of computers. and so on, I just don't see how to set this up by group or scope. "This will launch the install on the targeted machines" ok how do I set up a targeted group???

And no I have not been able to set up a lab yet. I am not sure we have enough licenses to set up another server. I guess I can rebuild the lab every 90 days, if that is what it will take. I read where people love the product, and have gotten raises, well I like to learn enough about LD to love it also.

Todd

• 1. Re: Staging Patch scans and auto fixing?
          mrspike SSMMVPGroup

Check out this document I created, if you have questions afterwards post them and I and others will be glad to help

http://community.landesk.com/support/docs/DOC-6820

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Staging Patch scans and auto fixing?
            Rookie

Hi James,

Thanks for the reply. I had found your paper and was reading it. It's the

Now we need to target only those systems we want to patch, normally you do not want to patch all systems the same as you would a typical desktop. part that is still giving me trouble.I created groups of computers I would like to use as targeting system but it does not look like I can do it that way. I'll have to try the query and see if I can target only the computers in that group. Like I said so far it's been all or nothing .

Thanks again,

Todd

• 3. Re: Staging Patch scans and auto fixing?
              mrspike SSMMVPGroup

Todd,

Groups of computers is hard to maintain, I wish LANDesk would let you create a query and then if a computer met that query, put them into a group, alas, they do not.

If you built your groups of computers and that is what you targeted for full patching you would patch them, but if new computers were added to your core but you did not MANUALLY move them into your group, they would never get patched....

So I would not use groups for my overall patching, but for testing you can, and here is how:

Create one or more groups, say "Test Group 1" and "Test Group 2"

Move into them the systems you want to test your patching on, say 5 pcs in each

Now, create a query, call it "Patch Test Group 1"

Choose what you want to target in general, "Computer Location", or OS Name

In my example as shown below, I chose OS Name Like Windows XP

and then you click on the Filter Box, now, choose your group "Test Group 1" and save

Now you have narrowed down who to test your patches on.

Now repeat for Test Group 2

Now create a repair task, and drag the first query to it, schedule it.

todd1.jpg

todd2.jpg

• 4. Re: Staging Patch scans and auto fixing?
                mrspike SSMMVPGroup

Once you are done with testing you will want to create one or more queries based on how you are allowed to patch and or reboot them

For example, we use different agent names and or "Computer Location" fields to patch along with the OS.

So for my "normal" desktops I have a query based on:

OS Name Like Microsoft Windows 7

or

OS Name Like Microsoft Windows XP

And

LANDesk Management > Agent Config Name = Desktop Agent

We have special use systems that we cannot patch and reboot at will, so for those it would like:

OS Name Like Microsoft Windows 7

or

OS Name Like Microsoft Windows XP

And

LANDesk Management > Agent Config Name = Instrument Controller

Again, you can use any of the inventory fields to target

• 5. Re: Staging Patch scans and auto fixing?
                  Rookie

James I see your point, and it a good one, I missed that. So from what you are saying I need to start over and build agents based on the group I want them in, and then push the agent out to the computers I want to group together. And I would have to install the right againt on any new systems that are brought on line? We use a naming systems like IS710, IS720, SV625, PE725, so I should build agents for the group of users, and lump them together by ID?

Thanks,

Todd

Oh I forgot to say that we run on xp on our workstations..

Todd

• 6. Re: Staging Patch scans and auto fixing?
                    mrspike SSMMVPGroup

Todd,

First, if you decide to change agent names, do NOT push new agents out if that is the only change.... Agent re-pushed are notoriously troublesome with LANDesk....

If you are on LD 8, open agent you use now, give it a new name, save it.  It will now be exactly the same as your original but with just a new name... repeat as needed

If you are on LD9, right click your current agent and choose Copy and then paste it, open, rename

After doing above, click on the "Rebuild All" icon

Now, you can right click on a new agent and choose "Schedule UPDATE" or something along those lines.... that will just update the name and other minor changes on the existing agents without doing a remove / re-install and is quick and easy...

Again.... that is if you choose that path....

Depending on your organizations structure, you might not need to do that.

Please let me know what differences there are between your systems and why you would want to treat them differently.

• 7. Re: Staging Patch scans and auto fixing?
                      Rookie

James,

Thanks again for your replies. The way my boss see it it's based on the nature of the users work. Some people can be down a week without their computer, others 2 hours would be a big deal. So he wants me to patch based on these groups of users that we have lumped together. First the test group, then the helpdesk and if all goes well then the least important users, and to the next group. I think we broke it down to 3 groups and the test bed. Figuring out what is the common field to query on, is going to be the hard part. Like I said they are all XP machines, so OS is out. I don't think I can use the computer names, like the IS710 group has some secretaries and some programmers, and some are project leaders and VP's.

If I just copy the agent and rename it how do I assign it to the user groups if I don’t push it out to those users? I know this is getting a lot deeper then just patch deployment. Sounds to me like I missed a lot of BKP's.

Thanks for you time and input.

Todd

• 8. Re: Staging Patch scans and auto fixing?
                        mrspike SSMMVPGroup

Todd,

Do you guys use AD there?  Would it be possible to get the computers put into OU containers based on the groups you want?

That I think would be the easiest way....

So if you do the agent copy, after doing a "rebuild all", right click on it, select the "schedule update" choice, now you will have a sceheduled task.

Drag the systems you want want to rename the agent on to it, start it.

You can use the custom groups if you want, it will just may be a lot of work to make sure you have all of your computers in a group.

• 9. Re: Staging Patch scans and auto fixing?
                          Rookie

James,

Yes we use AD but no I don't sit anywhere near the group that controls that, and convincing them I need the workstations in our Boca

Raton site set up  differently then the rest of the company is probably harder then keeping the computers in the right LANDesk device group! But I hear you. I see where you are going with the agents, but I'll have to go back and read that again.

Thanks I have more understanding now, but don't think I am ready to start yet. More planing that needs to go into this.